ten

"Stefan?" She called out softly, not wanting to startle him as she entered the living room

"Gen, I thought you'd be long gone by now," he stood up, setting his glass of whiskey down. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just – I have to go away for little while," the original played with her fingers, guilt filling her as she lied to him. "I wanted to see you first."

"So this is goodbye?"

"No," Genevieve denied. "No because a final goodbye implies that we won't see each other again, and I refuse to let that happen."

"What is this then?"

"This is see you later," she finally decided.

Her arms wrapped around his neck, her tears soaking his shirt.

Stefan was trying so hard to keep it together but it proved harder to do so the longer he held her. Genevieve felt a final sense of comfort as she pressed her lips to his.

And then in the blink of an eye, she was gone, leaving nothing but faint sillage which broke his heart more than saying goodbye.

-

Nearly an hour later Genevieve appeared at the top of the staircase of her family's mansion. She had redone her hair and makeup and changed into nicer clothes.

She didn't really know why, she was about to be stabbed, but she needed something to keep her mind off of Stefan and the unanswered phone call she had just mad. Soon there wouldn't be anything on her mind at all.

All eyes were on her as she descended the stairs gracefully, giving her siblings a small smile.

"Thanks for coming clean, Bek." She embraced her sister tightly. "I forgive you."

They pulled away after a few moments and Genevieve turned towards Elijah.

"Make sure Stefan Salvatore doesn't find out about this."

"Of course," he nodded before pulling her into his arms. Genevieve inhaled her brother's familiar scent, finding comfort in the fact that it hadn't changed in a millennium.

Again, she pulled away after a few moments before turning to Niklaus.

"Do you remember when I broke up with my first boyfriend and I was adamant that I'd never fall in love again. Do you remember what you told me then?" Gen asked him softly.

"I told you I'd never leave you like he did, and that I'd love you a thousand times more for a thousand times longer than any man ever could." Klaus suddenly remembered the forgotten promise he made to his little sister a thousand years ago. "My sweet little sister, how could I have ever thought for even a second that you would betray me. I'm sorry."

"I'm just glad you're here with me now."

Genevieve wrapped her arms around him, burying her face into his neck. Klaus felt tears well in his eyes as he drove the dagger through her heart, holding on to her desiccated tightly as she fell limp in his arms.