three

Gen had slipped into the house through Stefan's bedroom window, hoping that she could wait quietly until he returned home to surprise him

Gen had slipped into the house through Stefan's bedroom window, hoping that she could wait quietly until he returned home to surprise him. Luckily, she hadn't been home, however she quickly became bored and was looking around for something to do.

Her eyes landed on the old leather bound book laying on his wooden desk. She picked it up and flipped it open to the most recent entry.

Her blue eyes scanned the cursive letters that had been inked onto the yellowing page, finger tips tracing along the paper as she read.

Genevieve is the reason I can no longer watch fireworks, because they remind me of her, and how she left too soon.

That's when I realised that the day Genevieve left wasn't the worst day. There was excitement and I wasn't bored for even a second. It's all the days that proceeded it. Nothing is interesting anymore.

Genevieve felt tears well up in her sky blue eyes.

And sometimes I find myself wondering what she's up to now. Has she stopped running away? Does she remember me? Is she even alive? Or has her family finally daggered her?

I'm aware that these are questions I will never know the answer to, but when it's 2:17 in the morning and I'm lying in bed awake, she is the only thing that fills my head. Sometimes I dream about the life we could've had, if she hadn't left. We would have moved to the country and adopted a dog or two and we would have been happy.

She was amazed at how easily she could picture the future he was describing. To most, it wouldn't have sounded all that appealing – average at most – but to her it sounded beyond perfect.

And it's unbearable. Every single moment of it.

Genevieve felt her heart break, she couldn't believe the amount of pain she had caused him.

"You know," his familiar deep voice called out from the doorway, "snooping is rude."

She whipped around, her long golden locks flying as she did, her glossed lips slightly parted as she searched for the right words to say.

"This feels like deja vu."