VIII.

Written by musicalromantic

Peter Lewis Wentz

I awake from one of the best dreams I have ever had the honor of having in probably my life. I awake to Michael's kiss on my forehead, and my eyes flutter open. The memories of last night fly through my mind, and I smile gently. I turn my neck to look at him through barely open eyes, and I can barely make out his disheveled, messy mop of hair. It takes all of my energy not to do anything about it. He isn't aware that I am fully awake yet and I just listen to him, closing my eyes again. That is, until I hear him scramble up from his spot next to me. Panic arises in me quickly, thinking that someone has spotted us. My eyes fly open and I sit up, quickly looking around. When I turn back to him to confront him on his urgency, I realize why he is in such a hurry, and I stare up at him desperately. I silently plead with him not to leave me alone. For what seems like hours, but is only minutes, Mikey stares back at me like a frozen deer that has heard the notch of an arrow in a hunter's bow.

"I have to go." He says this so soft I can barely hear him. He is avoiding my gaze. I do not know how he stays so calm, because right now, I am panicking inside. He will forget last night. Just as I said he would. "Thank you for your companionship, Mr. Wentz." Every word he says is a thorn piercing my heart, and I wish to God he would not lie to me. If he were telling me the truth, he would have stayed. Instead, he turns and begins to leave. The thought that I may never see him again spurs me into action and I scramble to my feet and begin to stumble after him.

"Mikey!" I gasp. No, no, no, he can't just leave me... "Michael." I am finally able to grab his wrist and I can feel him jerk slightly when he feels me grab him.

"Lord Michael James Way," he speaks as a Duke's son should, powerful and attention grabbing. "Is my name." And he rips his wrist from my grasp, stalking swiftly away from me. He leaves me shocked and terrified for a half second. But as I watch him walk away from last night and away from me, I am filled to the brim with rage at him and his actions. How he could forget a night that meant so much to me? I know we had talked about how it should be forgotten, but how I wished he hadn't taken it so seriously. I was so very angry at him and so angry at myself. And when anger takes hold of a man of words such as myself, things are said that would be regretted later. But I know I will not regret the words I am about to say to him next.

"In that case," I sneer loudly at him, not letting my eyes waver from the small of his back on which I have my eyes glued. "I hope I never see you again." My voice is much stronger than I thought it would be, and I hope my words haunt him. I hope he goes to sleep thinking of the words I have just spoken to him. It must have been a trick of the light, but I swear I almost see him pause. In a final moment of hope, I think he will stop and turn around to me. Instead, he breaks my heart once more and I watch as he runs away from me and towards the safety of his mansion. He runs away as a coward would run. He runs as a man running from his dreams, too much in fear of the consequences that may never come. And then I sit down on the ground, and I think. I think long and hard about what had happened the night previous, and I am at a loss how to feel.

Anybody could see me out here and I would not care. Right now, I am a man with a broken heart. Everybody knows that a man with a broken heart is a dangerous man. And I will be a dangerous one indeed. The sun has begun to rise and I know that father will be expecting me back soon. What I would not give to stay out here for another minute. But I know he needs me, and therefore I know I must leave. So indeed, I leave my special river behind. How much it's importance has grown throughout the past twelve hours of my life. A place I thought would never get more special than it already was, has indeed proven me wrong.