Prologue: My Icy Start

My memory was hazy, but I could still remember it. The smoke as it filled my lungs. The blood red flames that danced in the night. The screams of fear and terror ringing in my ears. Sometimes it was overwhelming. But during those times, I would look down at the small photo of my brother. It was the only thing that kept me sane. Yet, at the same time, it constantly reminded me of what I have lost.

I was looking down at the photo now. Huddled by the stump of a tree, trying to stay warm on the icy mountain. I was lost. Had no home. And had no idea how to make a new one. That might explain why there were tears crawling down my face.

"My dear child, what's wrong?"

The voice was sweet and smooth. A female's, no doubt. It sounded kind and caring. Everyone else I've met so far didn't have that kind of voice. It reminded me of the voice a mother would use when talking to her child. This may seem strange, but the voice made me feel . . . safe.

I quickly decided to wipe my tears. The last thing I wanted was to look weak. "Nothings wrong. Just some snow in my eyes, that's all." I didn't sound very believable, even to my own ears.

I slowly stood and turned around, since my body was screaming in agony for moving in the first place. When I looked at the owner of the kind voice, my jaw dropped and I froze. She was beautiful.

Her sharp, ice blue eyes cut into my own and left me speechless. The not-so-gentle breeze blew through her baby blue feathers, making her look majestic. The icy scales covering her body were striking, compared to the bland snow that surrounded us.

She was a dragon.

She leaned closer to me, an almost confused expression on her face

She leaned closer to me, an almost confused expression on her face. "Dear child, are you alright?"

Her second question seemed to snap me out of my trance. But I could only manage a weak whisper. "Um . . . yes."

"That's good. Would you mind telling me your name?" Her warm smile made me feel as if the icy cold was no longer surrounding me, biting at my toes and fingers.

"M-m-my name's K-Kori. K-Kori Ch-Cheney." Despite her smile, I could no longer hide my shivers or my stuttering.

"That is such a beautiful name. My name is Juniper." Her smile disappeared as she took in my ragged state.

It had been a month since I last slept on a real bed, maybe two. I was covered in scratches and bruises from sleeping on the cold, hard ground. My hair was no doubt damp and filthy, my clothes ripped and torn. My arms and legs were almost stick thin due to the lack of food. I must of looked like a piece of dirt, not even worth looking at compared to her. So why she was wasting her time on me, I wasn't sure.

"Why are you out here all alone, Kori Cheney?"

I looked down at my feet. Although the memories were painful and brought tears, yet again, to my eyes, I felt compelled to answer her. "I-I have n-n-no f-family. M-my p-parents are d-d-dead and-d I-I-I don't know i-if my b-brother is-s alive or n-not-t. H-He j-just d-disap-peared-d. I-I h-have no-o h-home ei-either."

When I looked back up, her eyes stared back at me with pity. Pity was something I had seen a couple of times before, and I hated it. Yet when she spoke, there was no pity in her voice. It was an even warmer and gentler voice than the one before.

"Kori, would you like to live with me?"

Yet again, she had left me speechless.

I had never considered ever living with someones else again. I had figured that these icy mountains were going to be it for me. My beginning, middle and end. Living with this kind dragon seemed like a dream come true, so much so, that I just couldn't believe it.

"S-s-seriously?"

She nodded, her smile once again beaming down at me. "Of course. I have been looking for a protege for quite some time now, and I've always wanted a daughter. I would be more then delighted if you would come and live with me."

I couldn't stop the smile from gracing my lip. Though one word in particular stood out me. "Protege?"

She nodded once again, then asked. "Kori Cheney, would you like to learn magic?"