Magnolia

I ran as fast as I could through Magnolia, not really caring where I was going, dodging as many people as possible

I ran as fast as I could through Magnolia, not really caring where I was going, dodging as many people as possible. There were a lot more people here then I had initially anticipated. They were probably here because of Fairy Tail, the strongest guild in Fiore. But even with me knowing that, it still kind of put me on edge. I didn't really like big crowds.

I was so lost in my thoughts, that I tripped over my own feet and landed flat on my face.

"Owie . . ."

"Come on Kori, I thought we were here to get a job done."

As I pushed myself off the floor, I looked up at the tiny person in front of me. She was incredibly adorable; wearing a short skirt, shirt and tie and a little bow. Her red eyes glowed in the sunlight somehow making her smile even warmer. I pouted up at my partner.

"But Joy, that really hurt

"But Joy, that really hurt."

"Well, you probably wouldn't have fallen over if you hadn't ran of like that." The exceed placed her small paws on her hips.

I huffed, recollecting on our journey here. "I know, but I really wanted to run away from that train." The word 'train' alone made me want to barf.

"Run away from it? Kori, the train wasn't going to chase after you." There was laughter in her voice.

"You don't know that. That thing is the torturer from hell, I tell you."

She sighed and patted my head, meaning she was disappointed with my child-like behavior, amused but disappointed.

I pouted again. Getting off the floor and dusting off my clothes, I looked around. "Well I suppose it's time to get started."

"Are you sure about this Kori? I mean, we've looked in nearly every other city in Fiore." Angelic wings sprouted from her back as she flew up to my shoulder and sat down.

"He's here Joy, I just know it."

"I've heard that before." She muttered.

I smiled at her. "Oh, come on, Joy. You have to have a little faith."

"I've also heard that before."

***

Stars were dotted across the navy sky, twinkling like jewels. When Joy and I had first arrived in this city it was around 7 in the morning. Now it was 10 o'clock at night. Maybe 11? We had spent the entire day asking people in shops, hotels, pubs, all over the city. Asking if they had seen a boy with black hair and red eyes; if he looked anything like the small boy in the photo I had kept hold of all these years. They all said the same thing. No.

There was only one place left to look. Walking through the old pub door's, I went straight to the counter like I had done with every other place I had searched.

"Hey there, what can I get you?" The bartender asked.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I just wanted to know if you had seen anyone who looks like this before?" I asked holding up the picture.

The friendly bartender looked down at the photograph in my hands then shook his head. "Sorry, I haven't seen him."

"You sure? This is an old picture, so he'll be a lot older now. He's the same age as me. Have you seen anyone who resembles him in the slightest?"

He seemed to ponder for a second before shaking his head again.

"Well, thank you for your time." I turn around to walk out of the pub, depressed that I couldn't find him, but end up bumping into someone. When I looked up there was a well built man, most likely in his early 30's, with an empty drink in his hand and liquid staining the front of his shirt.

"You little punk, watch where you're going!" The man shouted rather aggressively in my face.

"Hey! It was an accident, leave her alone." Joy shouted from her comfortable spot on my shoulder.

"What the hell's that?! A talking cat?!" The man picked Joy up from the collar of her shirt.

I was hoping to get out of this place without getting into a fight. But no one, no one touches Joy.

"Let go off her!" I punched the man across the jaw, causing him to stumble back into one of the tables.

"You bastard!" The man hissed. As the man got back up, many other men inside the pub stood up as well. I'm guessing this idiot didn't come here alone.

Joy sighed. "Can we ever go anywhere without getting into a fight?" Using her magic, she transformed into her human form. When in human form, Joy had a similar body to mine, but with long, brown hair, ears and a tail.

I smirked at her while getting into a fighting stance. "Nope."