Chapter 4-2: Home Safe

As he emerged from the water he shifted from sea lion to his natural human shape. Treading the familiar path from the little rocky cove to the main house, he let go of his shaman dream for the first time in months, letting his awareness relax into simply being himself, his body simply his body.

Before he reached the front door it burst open and his twin sister Sedna flew out of it and landed in his arms. "Niño!" she cried. Then, leaning back to hold him at arm's length she cocked an eyebrow and said, "Oh, excuse me, Bear!"

Bear grinned at her and wrapped her in his best bear hug.

Then as he realized how much holding his sister felt like holding Xayna he quickly relaxed the hug in a sudden urge to keep it brotherly.

Sedna stepped back from him, cocked her slim hips and put her fists on them, tilting her head in a way that made her heavy auburn hair fall over one shoulder. Then she laughed at the way his eyes popped. He knew what she was doing to him. Xayna did it all the time. He suddenly realized how much his body was going to miss Xayna's body. He resolved to keep that under control.

Sedna grabbed his arm and started hauling him toward the door. "C'mon, everyone wants to see you. Besides, it's cold out here!" She started rubbing her brown arms briskly as he held the door open for her. Bear, in his T-shirt and jeans, honestly hadn't noticed the cold. He was used to it.

Inside, those who weren't already lined up to greet him were rapidly approaching. Bear relished another series of warm hugs. The members of his extended family who were there on the island along with Sedna were Marian, Drake, Ray, Cheryl, Kore and Tengri. He would soon find out what the missing ones were up to. It was rare to have them all together, there was too much going on in the world that needed their attention.

Tengri was the last to greet him. After an avuncular hug he held Bear at arm's length and looked at him. Tengri was tall but their eyes were on the same level. Tengri was thinking that certain other things about Bear were on his level now. Something in Bear's demeanor signaled a newfound wisdom. The potential Tengri had known was there was being realized. As he released the boy...young man...he said, "We'll talk later."

Sedna, who had been born wise, had been a mother to Bear as much as a sister, and now she hustled him to the kitchen so he could get something to eat and then announced, "Bear has walked a long way without much rest. We all want to hear his story, but we need to let him get caught up a bit. We can all gather in the lounge when he's ready."

Bear didn't know about everyone else, but the thought of a hot shower and his warm bed suddenly sounded very good to him. He gave Sedna an appreciative look, and after a few more quick bites headed up to his room.

In the shower the muscles that had endured the long trek in bear and sea lion form finally relaxed, and more than ever he felt ready for bed. As soon as he crawled in and began to drowse, Xayna was there for him.

Your sister Sedna is very beautiful. And very nice.

You are very beautiful. Sedna looks just like Mother, Aunt Kore, Aunt Rosita and Grandma Naga. They are all Culver women. All beautiful, all very nice. I'm used to them. I'll never get used to you.

You know, I never worried for you, but I'm very relieved that you are home safe. Sleep well, my love.

And you. No more of those nights of not being worried for me.

He felt the pure warmth of her love as he drifted into a long overdue sleep.