Epilogue

What dreams may come.

The world had changed, and human culture had changed with it. But with abundant free energy came abundant ability to change the conditions of life, at least for humans. It was no longer necessary to rob the world of energy reserves, or to artificially interrupt the natural flow of solar energy or wind, in order to provide humankind with all the necessities of existence. Competition for the benefits of the solar energy flow could be left to the natural world.

People everywhere could realize their dreams, in whatever forms they chose. Many chose to pass along the benefits of the evolving new energy technology to other creatures, although it was quickly understood that too much interference was just that, with no real benefit to the natural balance.

Balance, in all things. That was the lesson learned. With global communication enhanced by QAR, there arose a global culture, underpinning the individual desires and dreams. With basic needs easily met, there was a new freedom of the mind. Earth became a celebration of life and a symphony of the art of exuberant existence.

For some the pace of change had outstripped caution. Individuals flew drones into space to set up bases on Mars and mine the asteroids. Space Pods followed, bringing crews of human colonists, New Ravens intent on escaping the hubbub of Earth in favor of the vast open expanses of the red planet, orbiting over the majesty of Jupiter, or among the magical rings of Saturn.

There remained on Earth a stratum of False Eagles, a privileged few whose fathers had fought for wealth and freedom, only to leave behind sons who fought among themselves to retain what they had, resisting change, cherishing nothing more than status and stability. But the old aristocracy of wealth had become meaningless in the new age of plenty, and their status evaporated in the freshening air.

Meanwhile the stars beckoned, and soon there were children of the Space Pod colonists who knew no other life, and were drawn inexorably outward. No longer was there any fear of overpopulating Earth. The Seeds of Gaia were spreading, with the endless expanse of the Galaxy open before them.