Chapter 6-3: Windows on the Sea

As in most Sun Dome communities, on this lowest level a wide band of the apartment ring outside the central Farm structure was dedicated to food preparation and cooking. The next band was typically dedicated to community dining, with more private meeting rooms and lounges arranged around the space beyond that. Here that pattern had been revised somewhat, so that several of the lounge spaces were open to the dining area, with more tables and chairs so some diners could be seated and served next to windows on the sea. It was to one of these lounges that Rosita led the visitors.

Occupants of the Sea Shell had been told of the visitors' arrival, and advised to have their lenses on so they could meet the guests properly. Many did, and smiled their welcomes as the three walked through the common space. Those who didn't saw three drones, and frankly gawked at the sight. Two were the original black military models, one a new red Chinese import.

As Rosita and her party approached a table near the windows, a man already seated there rose and faced them. Rosita waved to him and said, "This is Zeke, one of the original founders of CEDO."

Zeke had on his lenses, but they suited him somehow, accentuating the look of a mature field researcher, fit but studious.

"Zeke, the three new faces are Sedna, Xayna and Bear." She motioned to each as she named them. Zeke spread his arms in a sweeping gesture of welcome and an invitation to be seated.

Xayna leaned toward Bear and whispered, "CEDO?"

He whispered back, "Center for Study of Deserts and Oceans."

Xayna still looked a bit puzzled. Zeke spoke up and said, "In Spanish it is Centro Intercultural de Estudios de Desiertos y Océanos, so it is a Mexican acronym."

"CEDO is a kind of sister organization to our own WBI," Rosita added.

As the party got seated, Zeke said, "I'd love to offer you some of our local wine, but under the circumstances I shall refrain. In fact, if you don't mind," he reached up and took off his lenses, looked briefly at his guests, then put them on again. "Amazing. I of course expected your avatars to be convincing, but I am surprised at the naturalness of your physical actions."

Bear said, "I'm sure the avatar programming hides some of our clumsiness. But the QAR link we've developed makes operating the drones feel quite natural."

Sedna added, "It's like riding a bicycle or paddling a small boat. It becomes quite automatic."

Zeke focused on Sedna. "And you intend to use yours to add our underwater world to your World Dream. I applaud the notion. I have viewed your World Dream, and like everyone I am in love with it, and you." There was so much of the Spanish gentleman in the way he said this that Sedna didn't even blush, just smiled very appreciatively.

Zeke went on. "As Rosita mentioned, CEDO is a sister to WBI, with many of the same goals. The original focus was on the ecosystems and biodiversity of the Sonoran desert and the northern Gulf. Now with the Sea Shell we can investigate the Gulf waters more intimately. As you may know, the Sea of Cortez, the Gulf of California, is the youngest of all seas on Earth, having formed only five million years ago. It is often referred to as Earth's aquarium, for its possession of such a remarkable abundance and variety of marine life. It is sometimes compared to the Amazon rain forest for the opportunities it affords to find and identify new and possibly beneficial evolutionary developments.

"But as you well know, the Amazon has been home to many shamans for thousands of years. The human knowledge is there, and is now well captured. Here the local shamans are similarly very familiar with the desert life. But even they have been limited in their ability to penetrate the marine environment.

"So when my old friend Juan told me of WBI, and introduced me to Rosita's work, I began dreaming of this opportunity. Now with the help of Rosita and Ryan the Sea Shell is a reality, and with your help, my dreams may expand beyond my fondest expectations."

"I can hardly wait to get started," Sedna told him. "But my own fond wish is that I will have you for a guide."

"Ah, my dear, there is nothing I would enjoy more. But I'm afraid my diving days are behind me."

Sedna reached out to Zeke with her shaman dream, and to Ryan and Rosita as well, to make her own assessment of what was possible, before she replied, "That may change."