Chapter 2

Hey babes!! Sorry for the wait, I was working on an Episode for this story!! Pretty cool huh?? Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes slowly cranked open as I sat up from my bed. My eyes stung as I attempted to focus on the clock on my wall. 6:30 a.m. I sighed, swinging my legs over the covers; completely abandoning the solace of my bed. "I've never woken up this early.." I murmured to myself as I neared the family bathroom. Seizing the toothbrush, I began to lazily brush my teeth while examining myself in the mirror. My mind went back to the events of last night.

"I know you'll have a good chance at winning.."

Koey's voice engulfed my mind as I spit out the toothpaste and trotted down the stairs. The kitchen and living room were enveloped in darkness. I quietly threw my boots on and headed outside for fresh air. The warm misty air smacked my face once again as I strolled down the sidewalk and towards downtown Angeles. The whole neighborhood was dead silent. Only the sounds of the cricket's singing and the leaves blowing were heard. I arrived downtown and examined the shops that were now opening up. The hiding sun was now peeking out from behind the tall, stony buildings. The empty streets were now buzzing and the sleeping children were now running around. I smiled at the scene in front of me. Although Angeles wasn't the richest state out there, it surely was my favorite. I halted at a small bakery, inhaling a delicious scent.  I decided to venture it out, instantly stepping inside.

The smell of French bread consumed my nose as I made it to the counter; my mouth practically watering at the breath taking scent.

"Hello young lady. What can I get for you today?" The lady at the counter asked politely. I overlooked the display of bread in front of me, still under the trance.

"I think I'll have two loafs of your french bread please," I answered my eyes meeting her gaze yet again. She nodded and disappeared into the back of the small bakery. As I waited, I slowly explored the bakery, fangirling over how delicious the cinnamon rolls appeared. While I was in my own little world, a hand tugged at the bottom of my jeans. I snapped out of my daze and glanced down, spotting a young girl around the age six. "Hello there," I stated kindly as I crouched down to her level. She giggled and smiled, giving me a view of her two missing front teeth.

"Hi! My name is McKenna," She shyly introduced herself while playing with her feet. I smiled sincerely.

"My name is Vanessa. But you can call me Nessa if you'd like," I said while sticking out my hand for her to shake. She studied my hand quietly, determining her next move. McKenna slowly looked back up at me and gave me a hug. Shock was written over my face for a quick moment before I embraced her back. McKenna pulled away and started to play with a tendril of my hair.

"You're really pretty." She calmly said while she continued to play with my hair. I slightly blushed as I averted my gaze.

"T-Thank you. However, you must be mistaken," I stated bluntly. She frowned and lightly hit my shoulder. "Ow!"

"Don't say that. You're one of the most prettiest girls I've ever seen." She giggled. "Beside my mommy of course." I gave a small smile.

"Here's your bread mis- Oh I see you've met my daughter Mckenna," She said gleefully as she set the bread down on the counter and walked towards us. I simply nodded and stood up from the ground.

"Mommy! Mommy! Vanessa and I are besties now!" McKenna yelled out as she bear hugged her mother's legs. The lady smiled and faced me.

"Is that so?" She chuckled. I opened my mouth, ready to reply before a deafening noise cut me off, causing me to cower down. All of us immediately covered our ears as the ground began to rumble. I peeked out the window and my heart sank. Men clothed in black were roaming the streets. Angeles was under yet another terrorist attack.