Chapter 23

I slammed my head into my pillow once again before screaming my lungs out. Just practice? I can't believe I let my guard down. Unbelievable! I chuckled to myself, though it came out more forced and darker than I intended.

"Um. Lady Vanessa? Are you alright? You've been screaming in your pillow for almost 24 hours now and..," Augusta didn't bother finishing after noticing the horrifying glare I was giving her. My other maids hid behind her back, frightened to make any sudden movements.

I shot up from the bed. "I am not alright!" I huffed. "In fact, I feel so stupid for allowing the prince to fool me like he did. I almost forgot Prince Erik is a playboy that just messes around with girls whenever he feels like it!" I growled. Augusta gave me a warm smile.

"I'm sure whatever happened that night was a misunderstanding," She carefully stated. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, continuing to act like the stubborn girl I was.

Whatever. It's not like I wanted to be with him anyway. That was never my main goal when I arrived here. I just need to help my family with money, help Prince Erik get the right girl, and I'm out those large castle doors for good. I took several deep breaths before crawling out of bed and stomping into the bedroom. My maids didn't hesitate to follow right behind me, prepared to get me ready for this horrific day.

"Hey boo," Daniela called out to me right as I closed my bedroom door. Following close behind her was Alicia and Marionette.

"How was your date?" Alicia questioned while nudging my shoulder and wiggling her brows. I bit my lip. I wanted to tell them the truth, but I also didn't want the contestants to start bad-mouthing Princie if they heard what he said to me that night.

"It was cool I guess," I harshly lied. They all nodded, not wanting to question me much further. "Let's go! I'm starving!," I quickly said while fast-walking down the hall towards breakfast.

"Did you hear?" Marionette asked us as we all sat down at the large wooden table. "Girls are saying that Prince Erik is eliminating more contestants during breakfast today. Isn't that scary?" Marionette whimpered, pouting her face. "I hope I'm not one of them. I haven't even gone on a single date with him yet."

"Me neither," Daniela added. I zoned out of their conversation.

How could Princie be eliminating more contestants already? And so close to the next broadcast interview? I shook my head. I really don't get what this guy is doing.

I popped back into reality and pushed my seat closer to the wooden table. Across the room, Darius gave me an ugly face, which I gladly returned. We both laughed but were interrupted by the sound of trumpets.

"Now announcing Prince Erik's arrival," A man yelled as the dining hall doors opened. Prince Erik walked into the dining hall, a smirk so evident on his face.

"Hello ladies! How was everyone's morning?" He asked, clapping his hands together. The room was full of multiple responses. Princie looked in my direction, but I quickly snapped my head away. Darius gave me a look of confusion in which I replied with a small "I'll tell you later."

"Well, lots of you may have heard the rumors going around the castle. I will be eliminating several girls at this moment. I want to thank you in advance for your time and patience in this competition. If your name is called, please make your way to your bedroom to pack up your belongings." The Prince cleared his throat before reading off a few names. The more names that were being read off, the more tears and anger spread across the room.

"And finally Jessica Jeruli," He slightly smiled. "The rest of you have made it to the next round. Congratulations!" The remaining contestants in the dining hall clapped with excitement. "You may now eat!"

As the staff began to set plates onto the table, my friends let out a sigh of relief for making it to the next round.

"Um. Nessa. I think the Prince is trying to get your attention," Marionette cooed while nudging my shoulder. My eyes snapped towards his direction, looking directly at his piercing green eyes. Using his head, he signaled for us to go out the door. I bit my lip, still slightly hurt from that one night. I really didn't want to talk to him. However, from the opposite side of the table, Caroline's face was beet red; fuming with anger. She must've witnessed our conversation from afar. No matter how hurt I was, there was no way I would miss an opportunity to rub this in her face.

I stood up from my seat, the chair squeaking across the wood below, and began to walk towards the large wooden doors. Soon after, Princie followed, walking with a little pep in his step to catch up. All the competitor's eyes were on us as we shut the wooden doors behind us. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YAYYYYYY!!! It's the moment you all have been waiting for!! An UPDATE! I have to apologize for the super long hiatus I was on. 2019, was my senior year of high school. Therefore, I had no time for anything but studying and prepping for college. However, my college classes are online for this semester, so I will be spending a lot of time at home. Meaning, more updates. 

During this time, I will be focused on updating two books. The Choosing and Married to the Quarterback (which you all should go check out if you like this book)

Don't be afraid to follow me on Wattpad and stay tuned for updates. By lovelies!!

 By lovelies!!