Chapter 15

As appetizers were being handed out, the Queen continued to scan us careful. Evidently, I avoided eye contact with her, focusing elsewhere around the ginormous dining room. I stabbed my fork into an appetizer known as "calamari", and instantly fell in love as it entered my needy mouth. Heedless of the hateful and rude glances I was earning, I loaded more of the fried food onto my plate.

"Enjoying that calamari Vanessa?" Daniela whispered to me while laughing. Because of my full mouth, I nodded in reply. "You should consider enjoying the calamari a little quieter. You're gaining unwanted attention," She uttered, referring too some of the competitors glaring at me.

"Oh," I swallowed my food, "I suppose you're right." I lowered my head, ashamed by my improper actions. My ears picked up snickering from across the room, causing me to turn my head and search for the culprit. I internally rolled my eyes after noticing it was only Darius, whose face was starting to turn a puce color from laughter. Running my finger across my neck, I signified that I was going to kill him. Darius simply waved me off, and began to chat with the very noiseless prince.

"Who was that hunk?" Daniela nudged my shoulder, winking at me.

"He's just my guard. Who just so happens to be the Prince's best friend," I uttered, continuously throwing hateful glances in Darius's direction.

"Oh! Eĺ es muy guapo," She whispered, resulting in me fake gagging.

"As if," I replied, stuffing more calamari into my starving mouth. The room remained silent a while longer, excluding some small talk between competitors.

"All right then. Let us get started," Prince Erik finally spoke, standing up from his seat. "As many of you know, I am Prince Erik. And I am more than grateful to have such beautiful women competing for my hand," He smirked, raking a hand through his hair. The room filled with squeals and flirtatious giggles. I on the other hand, had solely focused on the calamari on my plate.

"So. To try and get things started, I will be chatting individual with all of you, to try and get to know you a bit more," He continued on. Daniela excitedly grasped my arm, shaking as though it were a rag doll.

"First up, I'll take....Lady Tonya Paul."

Prince Erik continued to call names and lead girls into a separate room. I practically threw up at the sight of girls pushing out their breast, and twirling their hair. Daniela sat down next to me, a smile evident on her face.

"How'd the talk go?" I asked. Her smile grew even wider.

"It went great! Muy bien. He even kissed my hand before sending me out," She giggled, examining her hand. "I'm never washing this hand again." I laughed at her behavior, oblivious to the fact that my name was called.

"Lady Vanessa Aldaine," I gulped and stood from my seat, wiping my clammy palms onto my black gown. I began to walk towards the Prince, who was eyeing me the whole time. I couldn't wait to get this over with.

"Follow me please," He demanded, bringing me into a nicely furnished room before closing the door. Prince Erik sat down next to me and smiled.

"How are you, Lady Vanessa?" He questioned, crossing his arms and flirtatiously smirking.

"I'm doing well. Although, I'd prefer if you'd just call me Nessa. I'm not used to all the formal titles," I confessed, averting my gaze from his striking green eyes. Prince Erik laughed.

"Nessa?" He mumbled it under his breath a couple more times. "Nessa. I like it." He smiled. "I must say, I've seen you before," He frowned, thinking hard.

"Trust me your highness, I doubt you have ever seen me. We live so far away from each other," I shrugged. He scratched his head.

"I guess so. Maybe I saw you in my dreams then," He winked. I frowned and punched his shoulder.

"Ew! That was super cheesy. How many girls have you said that line to?" I shouted, raising my eyebrow. I immediately regretted my actions as I stared at him wide-eyed, gradually curling into a ball. "O-Oh my goodness. Your highness. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to-," I apologized before being interrupted by the Prince's laughter. I stared at him confused.

"Wow. No one has ever spoken to me like that," He managed to speak between laughs. I raised an eyebrow. I was for sure positive he was going to yell at me and tell me to pack my bags; which, of course, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Prince Erik swiped his tears and smiled at me.

"I like you. You're definitely different La- ..Nessa," He chuckled, his face slightly turning red. My heart skipped a beat, causing me to clutch my chest in confusion. What was that? "Oh. What a bummer. It looks as though our time has run out.," He smiled, causing my heart to jolt once more. I really had to get that under control.

"Whelp, I guess it's time for me to go back to my calamari. It was fun
Prince Rikkie," I slightly giggled, already standing up. I squeezed my fists together, trying to keep calm.

"Prince Rikie?" Prince Erik raised an eyebrow, smirking.

"Yep!" I popped the p. "It's your new nickname, " I walked out of the room, not waiting for a reply. I heard his laughter behind me, which caused me to regretfully smile. As I sat by Daniela, I couldn't help but notice the glares I was earning. This was definitely going to be an interesting competition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~