Chapter 5

Entry 6: 21st October

Journal,

The most frustrating thing about this journal is the fact that I still have to backtrack over a month ago to my first week. But I swear, after I finish up writing about happenings on the first week, there's only really the Journal Incident to write about and then I can write nearer the present day and stop this backtracking nonsense.

So, the first week of uni. Monday I met Niall in the theatre, Liam in our room and Zayn at the restaurant. Tuesday I had my first day of lectures and met Harry and Jenna in creative writing. Wednesday I had my second name of lectures, came across Niall in English lit. and cooked my first hilariously disastrous dinner with Liam. So where does that leave us? Thursday? Gotcha.

The first class I had on a Thursday was Introduction to Improvisation. Of course, that being one of the modules that Liam had, somewhat bizarrely, chosen, we set off together across campus.

The class was like creative writing in that there were only twelve students in it. Fortunately, it was Twatface-less.

Harry hadn't even said another word to me in that creative writing class after he had introduced himself. In fact, it wasn't until two weeks later with the Journal Incident that I actually spoke to him again. Between then, my dislike for him had developed into near-hatred. He was just so smarmy. And still is.

The creative writing classes themselves are really interesting though. Angie is really encouraging and her enthusiasm makes me love writing even more. We get these weekly assignments which I save until the weekend to do so I have something to keep my mind off Liam not being there. God, I sound like I'm obsessed, don't I? That's probably because I am.

Sorry, plot bunnies again. So, yeah, Liam turned out to be amazing at improv after a bit of coaxing. Of course. There isn't anything that guy can't do well. Except perhaps cooking. And his laundry. And not being irresistible. Whoa, the amount of negatives in that paragraph made my head spin.

We were told to get into pairs and Liam immediately grabbed onto my jumper in his uncertainty. I laughed it off and teased him slightly, my heart hammering in my chest all the same. Anna came up to me to ask if I would be her partner because Becky was with Claire.

"Sorry, Anna," I said. "I think Liam needs me to hold his hand through this lecture."

Liam clapped me playfully on the back of my head before reaching out his hand to Anna.

"Hi, nice to meet you Anna," he said in the most polite way imaginable. I couldn't help but feel a flush of jealousy. "I'm Liam."

Anna's mouth lay agape as she shyly took the hand and looked Liam up and down. "You're Louis's roommate?"

"Sure am," Liam said with a chuckle. "Why, has he been saying bad things about me?"

"No, no, it's just... whoa," she gasped before blushing and skittering off to find a partner.

"What's it like to have that effect on woman?" I asked Liam dryly, knowing exactly what it was like to be on the receiving end of it.

"What effect? Nobody really looked at me twice in secondary school."

That was extremely hard to believe.

Cathy, the lecturer, cleared her throat and addressed the class. "Now, each pair is to find their own space in the room. I'm going to call out a line of dialogue and one person is to repeat that line to their partner and the partner reacts to it and a mini play of sorts emerges for about two minutes. You can create whatever characters, dialogue and settings you wish. Before we begin, I'd just like to see the numbers of free-choicers versus those doing performing arts. So, if you chose this module and you're not doing PA, raise your hand."