Hotter Than Fire

Jack's POV

I hopped into the back of the ambulance, called to an active fire. Several people wounded a few even dead. I think somebody said there were a few still trapped inside. It's always so hard to watch when they're pulled out, sometimes dead. Almost always hurt.

My job is to get them in the gurney. Arturo's job is to get them to the hospital then come back to get more.

We have three of our Emergency Response vehicle's out on this one. It was a big fire. Lots of people hurt.

A few people were groaning at the job, not because they don't like helping people, they love it. No, it's because a lot of us are not excited to watch the firefighters take all of the glory for it. It always happens like this. Every time there's a fire, the only news coverage is directed toward the firefighters. Us doctors and medical response units are always so mad.

It's not because we're jealous. In fact, were okay if the media never covers anything we do ever.

Were mad because the firefighters are almost NEVER needed in this town. So you know what they end up getting payed to do? Play x-box and eat pizza. And it really gets on the medical and reinforcements nerves. Especially when they get deemed hero's for the very rare moments when they have to fetch some sad fucker who's too petrified to move.

And as soon as that happens the media is kissing their ass.

We as a medical team are saving lives BY THE MINUTE. The firefighters might MIGHT be saving lives by the month. MIGHT. And that is what makes us mad.

Same with the police force. They save people hourly! But the media is BACKFIRING ON THEM. That's not even okay.

I'm bitching. I'm sorry. But medical and reinforcements are always bitching about the fire team. It's just how it goes.

Anyway.

Arturo stoops the vehicle and I hop out, immediately getting the gurney out.

We get the people who are already out that are hurt brought in and taken to the hospital.

Soon enough, the fire team is bringing people out with a stride in their step.

I roll my eyes.

One of them brings a kid over to me and sets him on the gurney.

I am fuming. He's gonna get the bedding dirty with his dirty hands! That's not his job! "You do your job and Ill do mine, patrol." I growl at him. It was medicals job to handle the patients for a reason.

"I was just trying to help, I'm sorry."

"Do you know why you are not suppose to deal with the patients, patrol? Because you could still have burning embers on your hands or clothing! Think!" I snapped at him. He should know this!

"I- I'm sorry... Honest mistake..." He said.

I roll my eyes. They'll do anything for more recognition. "You should know this. Leave my job to me."

"Rookie!" The general called him over.

"Your masters calling you." I grumbled out.

He went over to the general. I heard him talk to the rookie.

"You don't do that." He said.

"I know that now. I just got chewed out by medical, sir." He said.

"Rightfully so. Don't do that again." The general said.

"Yes sir."

The general came over to me while I was tending to the patient, making sure there where no clinging embers.

"He's new. I'm sorry. I will be sure he doesn't do that again."

"Keep your dogs on shorter leashes." I grumbled.

He's use to medical and reinforcements treating them like this. We just don't like them.

"Don't worry." He walks over.

When the smoke was clearing out and the fire was gone, the fire team lined up and took off their helmets.

The rookie wouldn't stop looking at me. At first I thought it was because he wanted to apologize, but after catching him staring three times, I knew it wasn't that.

Before they headed out, I was waiting for Arturo to return with the ambulance.

The rookie came over, holding his helmet in his arm.

"What?" I asked.

He was at least part Asian and part something else, but he had black hair and the entire top of his head was dyed red. He was wearing glasses.

"You are just... Your really good at your job. And I just wanted to thank you for what you do."

This is new. "Who sent you over here, rookie?" I asked.

"Nobody, sir."

"Don't call me sir."

"Sorry..."

"Jack." I held out my hand.

"Mark." He went to shake my hand, but I pulled away. "Take your glove off, rookie."

He did so, blushing with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, jack."

"Hm." I shook his hand. "Glad to know our next 'hero' in training."

"Glad to know the hero behind the scenes~" mark said.

I don't know why, but that actually made me relax a bit. "Funny that nobody else cares. Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"I'll be leaving in a bit. I... I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the things that medical does."

I sigh. "Listen, rookie. Medical and fire team? We don't get along. I appreciate you trying to mend the broken bridge, but there's nothing you can do."

Mark bit his lip. "Oh... Uhm...." Broken hearted, he seemed to crumple something in his hand. "I mean,... Okay. Ahm..." He awkwardly tried to find a way either out of the conversation, or farther in. "We'll, I just... I mean, I was trying to understand your point... I didn't really know... Geesh, I'm... A blubbering mess, sorry." He said, trying to shove the crumpled thing into his pocket. "I- ah... I should go."

"Yeah. Ill see ya, mark." I told him.

He turned to leave and the crumpled thing fell out of his pocket and to the ground.

Curious, I picked it up.

It was a notecard.

'503-553-5456
Mark Fishbach
Let's go out!~<3'

"So this must have been his victory scribe. Heh. Cute~"

I was not falling for a fire team. Okay... He was pretty cute, I'm not gonna lie. Cute boys who don't know how to ask men out I swear they crumple my heart.

But a fire team was sure falling for me.