Did I Misjudge?

Jacks POV

After dinner, he told me he wanted to take me somewhere he knows real well. I found out he wanted to take me to the Fire Department. Its near reinforcements, so I knew where we were going. "Why are you taking me here?"

"Do you not want to go here?" He asked.

"I mean... Well I don't think I belong anywhere near this place. We hate fire team, fire team hates-"

"Woah, hey, hold on there! Fire team doesn't hate you guys!" He burst.

"You don't?" I asked.

"You guys hate us and nobody in fire team knows the reason why. Maybe you'd like to clear some things up with me?" He asked.

Great. Now I feel like the asshole. I thought. "Well.... I mean.... I guess it just sounds presumptuous...but..." I wasn't sure how to tell him. "You guys are the only ones that the media kisses ass over and I hate it. Medical hates it. Reinforcements hates it. Medical gets lost between the cracks of the media and reinforcements is constantly getting criticized for doing their job because the person who was breaking the law happened to have a diffrent skin color or whatever the fuck, and you guys? You get the media kissing your ass for the one time out of a month or two when you happen to piss on a candle!"

"Ow, Jack."

I realized how rude that sounded. I just wanted to get out of his car. I wanted to run as far away from him as I could. "I'm sorry. We shouldn't have done this. Sorry for getting your hopes up, but this isn't gonna work."

"Wowowow! No, Wait! I understand where you're coming from, Jack!" He said, causing me to halt from getting out of the car. 

He understands? No he doesn't. "No you don't." I told him.

"Jack please. Let me show you what we do in our spare time. You think we waist it, don't you?" He asked.

I was silent.

"You think we fuck around all day doing nothing but playing video games and shoving our faces with pizza, don't you?" He pushed.

"I didn't say that."

"But you thought it."

I was silent.

"Let me show you how much we really do. Let me teach you the things we need to do in order to prepare for a fire. If we had a fire we needed to put out every day, even every week! We wouldn't have the time to prepare for every fire. Let me teach you." He said.

Weather I thought it or not, I wanted to learn. I wanted to know. I wanted to put this fucking war away. I wanted to love Mark. I really did. 

I guess thats why I agreed to go into the Fire Department with him.

I expected an Empty garage and a full lounge room. Oh how I was wrong. The garage was full of all the fire team, washing the trucks from the soot of the earlier fire, stretching to get ready for training, people pushing themselves to get to the top of the poles for extra training. Nobody was sitting, nobody was eating. Nobody was being even remotely lazy. Everybody was productive, training, cleaning, sparring, testing. 

"Wow." I let a breath out.

Somebody walked over to us.

Mark solutes. "Sir."

"At ease. Who's this?"

"This is Jack. He's from medical. I wanted to clear some waters with him, if not the rest of his team."

The man nodded. "I see. We've met, Jack, Right?" He asked me.

This is the captain of the fire team. He talked to me at the scene, I was rude. "Yeah, We've met."

"Well, feel free to look around."

I nodded.

He walked away.

Mark began to show me around. "This is our training room. All of the weights are set to fifty and up. In order for us to be of use in a fire emergency, we need to be able to use all of the equipment at 50 pounds or more. No less."

"Easy."

"Not as easy as you may think."

"Psh. Let me try." I was feeling presumptuous. It cant be that hard, right?