In over my head

Jack's POV

Let me just say, it looked easy when I was watching them train. I walked over to a machine and I sat down. I pushed as hard as I could against the pad but no matter what I did, it only barley gave way. I saw the amused look cross Marks face as he tried not to chuckle.

"You good there?" he asked.

"Its okay. I got this." I told him knowing the truth couldn't be farther away from what I had said. I pushed harder, knowing what I was now up against was anything but easy. It gave a bit more, but I'm pretty sure my bones were gonna give out before the weights did. "I think it's stuck." I said.

"Oh. Move." He said.

I moved, Hoping it was stuck.

He pushed on it effortlessly and it gave way without a fight. "No, it's fine." He said.

I blushed. "Holy shit." I said. "Okay. You've convinced me. You don't fuck around when it comes to training."

"Well in the fire industry, you don't really get the choice to be strong or weak. If somebody is hurt inside the building and can't walk, you need to have the strength to bring them out. You need to be able to hold the hose with the water, witch looks easy but it's not. And if you or somebody else is stuck under debris, you need to have the strength to get it off." He told me.

He's fucking incredible. "I'm seeing a new light here, mark... I guess I really never had the guts to prove my theory..."

"Don't sweat it, Jack. You didn't know. It's okay."

"I feel like an asshole."

He stood up and hugged me. "Ignorance doesn't make you an asshole. It just means there's someone out there that needs to teach you."

I blushed at his close proximity. He was so warm. "Okay..." I pulled away and smiled.

Mark chuckled. "Let's see if we can get you on something a little less intense, okay?~"

"I'm good!" I told him.

"You're good?~"

"I'M GOOD." I was just done embarrassing myself.

"Alright, alright." he said, leading me out.

"What do you plan on doing with me now?" I asked him.

"Well, I was thinking the fair is still up if you're up for it~" he told me.

"Gosh... I haven't been to the fair in so loooonnng...." I cooed. The last time I had gone to the faur was when I was 12. My mother had to call over the PA system to find me, I had taken off to fallow the brightly colored lights with my tiny elephant and bag of cotton candy. She was so worried when she found me. We went home early.

"So is that a yes?" Mark asked.

"Absolutely! I missed the fair for the past decade or so. It's been so fokin' long."

Mark slipped his hand into mine cautiously. He seemed to really like me. And as much as a surprise as it was for me to admit it, he was perfect for me.... and I loved him for that....