Two

(Song, Friend, by Gelantis)

"You drive like a maniac!" I say as we pull into the parking lot of our school.

"Why thank you," Cara replies, "I've been just dying to hear you compliment me all day." I don't question her sarcasm; I always say something about her atrocious driving skills, and she always says something sarcastic in return. It's our morning shtick. I've been asked repeatedly by people at school why I don't just drive myself to school, but in all honesty my old Volkswagen Rabbit is on its last legs and I'm trying to prolong its life. Cara's got a shiny new Mercedes convertible, so it's not a far stretch to see why I don't drive myself once you take a look at both our cars.

We make our way to the main entrance of our school and part ways when we get inside because our lockers are at opposite ends of the school. We begged to share a locker but the school doesn't allow it. I honestly don't see why, it's not like I'm going to steal any of her things, and vice versa.

As I walk to my locker I get the familiar feeling of being watched. I've had this feeling for as long as I can remember, but lately it's been exceptionally strong. When I reach my locker, my thoughts are interrupted though as I notice that it's slightly ajar. Not again! I think to myself.

I open it and find that though it's been opened, it appears that nothing's been taken, just like every other time it's been broken into. My locker has been broken into about seven times so far since the beginning of the school year. I don't understand why somebody would open a locker and not plan to steal anything. It's just plain strange. Which is just like my life: strange. I'm a magnet for the weird, though I have no idea why. I guess that's why I have that feeling of being watched all of the time- because it's not at all normal, and I fall into that category.

I take out the books that I need for first period and smile politely as I pass Damien in the hall. He looks at me with those deep, prodding, dark brown eyes and my heart speeds up a little, and my palms begin to sweat. I don't really know what to think of him, but he's Cara's friend, so I generally have to deal with him since he hangs around us a lot. He's a nice guy, and seems eager to be my friend, but he gives me this strange feeling in my gut. At first, I thought it was some type of crush or something, because he is very good looking- and okay, at first, it could have been a small crush. But when he talks to me, he's got this...look in his eyes that I can't quite pin. Almost as if I were a puzzle he can't quite figure out. Damien moved to Pipton this year, and on his first day, he already fit in with the popular crowd.

Victoria, his girlfriend of no intelligence (in my opinion) yet high status, runs up to him when she notices him looking at me and scowls at me in a rather unflattering way that makes her face look all wrinkly and awkward. Maybe I'm being a little too dramatic, but her face just looks wrong to me for some reason. She's kind of the queen bee around school, and she's been here for the same amount of time as Damien. They both fit in so fast, though it didn't help that they were already dating when they both started here, and here I am with only one real friend, having been here all of my life.

"Did you hear me?" Cara waves her hand in front of my face, "Hello, earth to Khiara!"

"What?" I say, completely embarrassed that I didn't notice her presence sooner.

Cara shakes her head at me and smiles, "I said, don't forget the party tonight! Everybody's gonna be there and you have to bring the chips and drinks. You're my best friend and we always help each other out right? Plus you promised and volunteered to bring refreshments so there is no backing out or forgetting now."

I just nod my head. When it comes to Cara, nodding your head and saying "Mmhmm" to everything she says doesn't offend her, it just makes her think you're listening.