Twenty eight

Twenty-Eight

My combat training has officially ended; there is nothing more I can do, besides fight hand-to-hand, seeing as I'm only human. But I'm a pretty good fighter now, and can even take out Liam if I try hard enough.

I'm not in a fighting kind of mood right now, though. Mom has made a special dinner and insisted I call everybody to join us for it, so the dining room is currently filled to the brim; we actually had to get extra chairs from the attic.

Now that my training is over, we have to think about the Battle. Cara's grandmother has put in calls to many of the Faen, who in turn have put out calls of their own; hundreds of Pixies, Nymphs, and Elves – as it turns out, there are only about a million left world-wide, and only about a thousand of them want anything to do with human affairs and whatnot – from around the world are on call, waiting to battle.

I've just come back into the room, having been tasked to get another bottle of juice from the fridge, and I'm standing in the doorway, taking everything in.

"So Lisa," Dad, who is sitting across the table from Lisa, Samael, and Vicky, is saying through a mouthful of mashed potatoes. "How is French class coming along now that you're getting Khiara's help?"

"Great," she says, as bubbly as ever, spearing a single pea with her fork too hard, making it fly off her plate and onto Tristan's. He reacts only by picking it up and popping it into his mouth with a cheeky grin.

Samael rolls her blue eyes at the scene and lovingly places her hand on her daughter's head. "She's been passing with flying colours thanks to your daughter."

Dad beams, as if he's been given the biggest compliment; which I suppose as a parent he has. "Yes, she's a smart girl. Takes after her old man."

Mom rolls her eyes from next to him. "Okay, sweetheart. You keep telling yourself that."

Dad mock frowns and says, "Ferme ta bouche, Madame!" and then kisses her on the cheek, pulls back, then winks at her, earning him a loving swat on the arm from her.

I walk into the room and place the bottle of grape juice on the table, then take my seat next to Mom and Cael.

"So," I say to Cael, digging into my dinner. "I've been thinking we should go on a date. We've only had the one."

Cael smiles and reaches over to grab some more mashes potatoes. "Aye, I think that's a good idea. What do you want to do?"

I think about it for a minute, stuffing my face with bread, chicken, green beans and potatoes, and then an idea forms in my mind. "I think we should take a drive somewhere. Go wherever the road takes us."

His smile turns into a full out grin. "I like that idea. When do you want to do this? I'm down for whatever day and time you want."

"Tomorrow? I can maybe stay over and we can go from your place?" I can't disguise the excitement in my voice.

Cael nods and takes a large bite of bread. Through his mouthful he says, "Sounds like a plan!" and I can't stop the laugh that bubbles out of me.

"Young love," says Jack from the head of the table. "There's nothing like it, is there?"

From Liam's lap Sam shakes his head and crows, "Nope!"

I have never had a big family; it's always been Mom, Dad, and me, and of course Cara. Dad's family is all in France and they want nothing to do with him, and Mom's adoptive parents passed away.