Six

(Song, Tik Tok, by Ke$ha - it's Cara's ring tone)

The doorbell is what wakes me up from a deep, deep sleep.

"Who the hell is it at seven in the damn morning?"

Ring.

"Shut up!"

Riiiiing.

"Go away!"

When Cara's ringtone starts to play, I've had just about enough.

What could Cara possibly want from me at this time of day? It's so early! And I went to bed not long ago. What in the world is wrong with her?

"What do you want now?" I say into the phone angrily.

"Wow, chill much. We have school, you know that right?"

"What?" I yell, looking at my calendar to make sure she's joking, which of course she is.

"Hah. No, I just need you to come shopping with Janie, Chris and me. We're all getting our semi-formal dresses! And you're coming right? To semi-formal, I mean."

"I hate you. I practically just went to bed. I'll be out in twenty; I need a shower because I smell like cleaning supplies, vomit, beer and Missus Pussy Pants' fur, which by the way you should really clean, Cara."

Twenty minutes later, I'm out the door and in the car with my best friend and two people I can't stand. I'm waiting for this day to get better.

"Oh, you look adorable Khiara! All dressed up like you're something special," says Janie. I'm wearing skinny jeans, ballet flats and an oversized Flogging Molly tee shirt. My hair is pulled lazily into a messy bun and I'm not even wearing makeup. Yeah right Janie.

"Thanks," I reply, "but try not to compliment me too often today okay?"

Janie gives me a look that can be interpreted as, whatever or oh screw off. I'd like to think it means either or, just for the hell of it. Spice up my life with choices, and all that.

In the back, Chris is absolutely, one hundred percent unhappy about something. He doesn't even want to be looking for dresses, even though I'm sure on any other day he'd be happily running alongside Janie, whose pants he is dying to get into.

I lean forward in my seat, tired of looking at Janie's face, and look over to Cara. She's yapping on her phone, speaking to her latest boyfriend; if you could even call him that.

Cara's chewing gum loudly as she speaks and I'm tempted to smack her upside the head. "I know right?" Chew, "You're so amazing!" Chew, "I can't wait to see you! I brought people so we won't be alone and we'll have a double date." Chew, "Also, my best friend is coming, so you know, you get to meet her and stuff. Yeah, I know, but she's single. Maybe we could set her up with one of your friends. Okay," Chew, "I love you too. Bye!"

I take the sunglasses that are resting on her head and put them on my own face, "Cara, do you think you could chew louder, I can't hear you."

Cara smiles and blows a big bubble, "No problem Babe." The bubble pops loudly in my face.

We pull into the parking lot of the local shopping centre and find a parking space near the food court entrance. We all get out as Cara explains that we're meeting the guy who she was talking on the phone to, in the food court. I guess we're getting lunch. Or breakfast more appropriately since it's only about nine o'clock in the morning- it's a long drive from my house to the mall.

As we get inside I notice that Chris's face looks no different from when we were in the car. I wonder what's wrong with him, but I don't want to ask for fear of Janie yelling at me to stay out of their business. It's too early for yelling.