Seven

After I've changed into the hoodie and out of my wet, coffee stained shirt, I walk out of the girls' room to find my tray and Cael gone. I look around and note that he's sitting with Cara, Chris, Janie and Tristan. Cara is blabbering on about something to him, and I know it's about me. I've never had a boyfriend before, not that he is my boyfriend, and I know that she'll just assume that any boy she doesn't know, that I happen to talk to is the biggest love of my life. She's like a stereotypical mom when it comes to things like this.

As I walk to the table, I get that feeling, the feeling that I've kind of grown accustomed to in the past couple of days. The feeling of being watched. I look around, but only see people chatting and eating with their friends, as per usual.

When I get there, Cara's telling Cael all about my life. Right now, she's launched into the epic story of my first non-training wheel bike ride. I fell and broke my wrist, and Cara had to call an ambulance. I was also ten years old, which is what makes the story so good to tell for her, and embarrassing for me.

"Can you believe it? Ten years old and she still had training wheels on her bike? How pathetic is that?" Snorts Janie. Cara shoves her in the ribs, "Hey, I bet you still can't ride a bike properly, so shut it, Janers."

Cael just smiles shyly at me as I sit down across from him, in between Tristan and Cara. He says, "I think everybody learns at their own pace. Well, since Khiara's back, I may as well go..." but Cara won't have any of it.

Swatting him on the arm, she says, "Stay with us! Ki-Ki needs a date for today. I've got Tristan here, and Janie's got Chris. It's no fair to Khiara if you leave, and we'd all love to have you. We've decided that we want to go to the movies, so why don't you stay?" I didn't decide about going to the movies...

Tristan nods in agreement while Chris looks to Janie, who says in the voice she usually only reserves for me, "Yeah, why don't you stay?"

Chris smiles an apology at Cael, who just nods his head.

"If that's alright with you," he says, looking at me with pleading eyes. All of a sudden, I remember that he's probably never really had any friends around his age, or if he did they weren't very close ones. This must be really important to him. Plus, I also realize, I really want him to come with us. He makes me feel... something.

Blushing, I reply, "Of course I want you to come with us. I'd be crazy not to."

Cara claps her hands as Tristan drapes his arm around her. "It's great to meet you, by the way." He says to Cael, which makes me laugh and exclaim with laughter, "You've just met most of us too, you know."

I think this earns me points or something, because he holds his hand up for a high five. I smile and give him the high five, as he says, "No wonder you're her best friend. You keep everybody in check, don't you, Khiara? I like you." And somehow, I know in my heart that he means it. This guy is just so right for Cara.

Cara jumps at the opportunity to bring the conversation to the topic of her, "But not too much, right? That much like is reserved for me," and kisses him on the cheek.

"Of course!" He beams at her.

After a long walk through the mall, we find ourselves at the movie theatre. It's hell trying to decide what to see, but we all finally decide on a romantic comedy about finding your soul mate, and knowing when you're with the right one. I don't even remember the title, but it's probably something cliché anyway.

As we walk in, I remember that I hardly have any money and sigh because I'm thirsty. I want something sweet like a coke, but the drinks here are so expensive. Sensing my thirst, Cara walks up to the concession counter and buys me a large coke.