Eight

“Where the hell did you go?” Asks Cara, as she and Tristan walk through my bedroom door, sit down on my bed and wait for my answer.

Blushing, I realize that I’d forgotten to text her to tell her what was up. “I’m so sorry, Cara. I swear, I had every intention of texting you, but I got kind of caught up in the hanging out with Cael. He’s…” I search for a word, “different.”

Tristan raises his hand as if he was in class, and I have to laugh at the sheepish look on his face. “Should I not be here right now?”

“No! I mean, no you shouldn’t not be here right now…I mean you can stay!” I say awkwardly, feeling bad that we’d all but completely excluded him from the conversation. “Sorry Tristan, I bet Cara didn’t tell you how awkward I can be sometimes.”

He smiles, “No, she warned me. I just didn’t believe her, but I guess she was right. I’ve gotta say I’m kind of happy she was, because it makes for an interesting friendship.”

Grinning I reach out and tousle his hair, “I’m glad we’re friends then.” He looks as if I’ve just made his day, and I can’t help but laugh some more as his face turns a bright red. Maybe he doesn’t have very many friends at his school. Cara had told me that he goes to a very prestigious private school on the other side of town from where we go to school, a very posh place.

“I’m glad too. I was worried you wouldn’t like me, actually,” says Tristan, all awkward and cute, and right then, I really see what Cara likes about him and I can only hope that they work out well. I like his guy for her. I just hope she smartens up and doesn’t end up hurting him. I’ll have to talk to her about it later.

Cara links one of her arms through mine, rolls her eyes and says, “Well, we’re all glad. Now, let’s get down to business. I want Ice cream and cheap thrills, and I know you guys don’t have any of that here.”

“You want cheap thrills? I can take my shirt off if you’d like.” I say sarcastically, “But you need to take me out on a date first.”

“Or, we could go to the amusement park and ride the Tilt a’ Whirl until we puke.” She says, already standing up.

Laughing, I say, “There’s that option too, I guess.”

Cara slaps my arm, “Shut up already and let’s go. You can tell us what you did with Cael the lover boy on our way there.”

We stand up and walk out of my room, momentarily forgetting about Tristan. Pug whines from my room as we open the front door, and Cara and I both almost collapse into a fit of giggles as we run back to my room to get Tristan.

“Hurry up!” says Cara, all excited and ready to go.

“I have no say in this, do I?” asks Tristan.

Cara and I both look at each other and smile, “Nope.”

Once we get in Cara’s car, I tell them all about Cael and his café, and even about before that, the day of Cara’s party. Tristan listens intently, and Cara voices her opinion on the matter.