Chapter 11: Unceremoniously Planned

A soft knock sounded at my door the next morning, right after I released a fuller-than-usual bladder.

Gosh, my body felt sore...

"Come in," I said once I cleaned myself up and washed my hands in the basin.

It was Millicent who entered in her hands a tray with more food than usual, a bundle of books and two knives.

One book was thin, red, and short novella, the other one was black and thick and spoke of medicinal herbs, and the last book was brown and scruffy and spoke of Celtic fairy tales. It was really more of a scroll.

"I could'va only stole a coupl'a nifes from'ta kitchen. Cook 'as so many of'tem, he cant'va missed 'em," Millicent told me setting the tray down. "Mind me eatin' fast wit ye?"

"Oh no, please, join me. Today I will teach you the alphabet and in the afternoon, I can teach you a bit of knifing. I can't promise you I will be the best teacher, I will only teach you what I can," I warned her.

Millicent nodded eagerly. "I'll take anythin'."

I nodded and we both sat down and began buttering our bread.

"Do you know where the rest of the ones who came with me are?" I asked Millicent.

Millicent shook her head, then she frowned thoughtfully.

I nodded; "Old man came down wit a cold--we dinna think he'll live. The two children 'ave been given away."

Well, that was the least of my worries now I suppose.

These people would know then how much of a stupid idea it is to get on my bad side. They will know the wrath of Ivar the Boneless tenfold when they meet him.

Millicent watched me curiously, noticing the change in my expression

"Whyddia'ask?" she questioned.

"Your King cannot keep his word," I said softly but Millicent heard me. Her eyes widened.

"Ye canna say stuff like dat missus. If they catch ye--"

"They won't," I said sharply, "You won't tell them because your life will be at risk also Millicent."

Millicent nodded and I gave her an apologetic shrug.

"Sorry, I get extremely anxious sometimes," I said apologetically.

"Waz ankious mean?" Millicent stumbled over the pronunciation.

"Anxious," I corrected, "It means nervous or worried. There now you know a new word. There are a lot more words than you know--than I know."

Millicent breathed in awe, her mouth opened unceremoniously. I laughed and she shut her mouth quickly, blushing. We both finished our breakfast in minute time.

"I go' sommat ink 'n parchment from Messa's office. I hadda sneak 'roun'a lot," Millicent said, her hand lifting up her skirts; "S'ekuze me missus."

I looked away respectfully and waited for her to fetch out the parchment and ink from God knows where. Turns out, she has a pinafore underneath her dress.

Smart.

"Good, we can start with the alphabet. Parchment is precious so we will only use a small amount, the rest you can write on the ground. I will clean it later." I promised.

I took the parchment, wiping my hands on the bedding and I began writing the alphabet, upper and lower cases, as neatly as possible in small handwriting.

"See those?" I gestured to the letters. Millicent nodded.

"Those are letters, each letter is a different sound. You say them without knowing what they are, but they are there. My words right now are made up of these letters," I explained.