II~Chapter 11: Allting

^^Evermore Fashion Marchesca Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear Collection

"Is this dress for the bedroom?" Millicent asked me unsurely, eyeing the fabric. It was a sheer sort of silk, the closest thing to chiffon that I could have gotten my hands on. I had initially purchased 200 yards of varying shades of blue, white, purple, and pink for that same type of fabric. It was difficult to come across the fabric because it wasn't so common, and it was an obscure sort of fabric. When I asked the merchant about it, he had blushed heavily and scoffed. When I squeezed the answer out of him, I realized why he was so embarrassed:

Low grade whores brought such fabrics to display their assets.

But really, it was a wonderful fabric and honestly, the tailor didn't know how nice it was, otherwise he wouldn't have sold me to me for such a cheap price. It was almost criminal how stigmatized the fabric was. So, I took advantage of the price and ordered two hundred more yards. It didn't hurt to have more, especially since it was so sheer. But it flowed so delightfully. It was either impress or scandalize everyone at our wedding. I had purchased silver thread, the bawdiest sort of silver because the merchant's definition of silver was laughable. Safe to say, the merchant was scandalized. He even went as far as to offer me silk at the lowest cost for which he could go. I bargained harder and got it for even less. So now I had 400 yards of chiffon-like material, 20 yards of silk, and a silver thread. Having a whore's fabric was cheap. It gave me spending money to buy a few rolls of cotton to make more day-to-day clothes.

"No," I insisted, "It is for the wedding."

"Then you want everyone else to know what colour your nipples are as well?" Millicent asked me delicately, as though she thought that such a thought would not have crossed my mind. I gave her a droll look.

"No," I said slowly. "I will layer that fabric so that it isn't so sheer, or I can put that silk beneath it. But this is how I want my dress to look. Besides, my nipples are brown."

Millicent did not appreciate my joke as much as I did. Tough crowd.

I pulled out some hand-drawn concepts I had based on my figure. I was wondering if I should put on a leather corset to honor the Viking part of my culture but then I decided against it. It didn't go with the look. I will consider metal plating though as my nod to the Viking-culture. Maybe some shoulder pads or necklaces or something. But it had to match the color schema of my dress. Or it could be included in my feast dress...

But this is how I needed my dress to be.

"It is pretty," Millicent conceded. "It will get dirty easily."

"Yes," I agreed, wondering how Millicent felt about wearing white wedding dresses. No one wore white wedding dresses, and no one wore red either. I wanted to wear red, but I was nervous about being associated with a harlot. Not a good look. "But I like it."

"Then let us begin," Millicent said. "You will have to stand for me," she added, and I paused.

"No," I said firmly. "Are there no mannequins?"

Millicent stared at me blankly. Mannequins are not a thing here, yet. Got it.

I guess I really did have to stand for this. Ouch. "Never mind, I'll stand."

"It will be torturous," Millicent warned me, looking concerned. I nodded bravely.

"It will be," I agreed, "Let's get started, the sooner the better. I'll help you get all the things you need."

"Thank you," Millicent said.

*

"Are you sore?" Ivar asked me, eyeing my still body as he plopped next to me in the sauna.