II~Chapter 4: Hysterical

Photo credits: Aelini92

^^Millicent.

etting back into the routine of 2018 Norway was not too different from 2016 Norway. But vastly different than 898 Scandinavia. Need I go onto a rant about how much more advanced, sanitary, and appealing modern day actually is? If I got into a whole talk about the comparison and differences of two worlds that were centuries apart, I may never end.

I got myself a summer job in Oslo. I work as a Supervising Manager in Victoria's Secret, that famous underwear store that my mom would never let me purchase from. I found myself knowing more about bras than what I was actually going to study in the university that was near to the mall I worked in. The tuition was free (a cautiously used term), however the textbooks, the supplies, and the apartments were definitely not free and the prices were astronomical. I had recently just moved out of my parents house because they were an hour and a half drive from Oslo. It couldn't have worked out. It seemed to be the only downside of the whole ordeal to them. That and I didn't own a car and my parents couldn't drop me off because they worked all the way in the other side. It was an inconvenience.

After months and months of plundering and moving from one village to the next with no certainty, taking what was not mine and seeing the horrors of medieval wars, it took a toll on me. I keep imagining myself in situations that would have happened had it still been that way. I keep seeing things. I keep seeing him.

I simply won't accept that I won't see him again. Not after all that we have been through. I loved him and it was so hard, knowing that he would have said it back had I actually still been there and had he eventually won the war. There was no question of where my home was any longer. It was with him. I love my family, I do. But I can't see a future without Ivar.

I just have to find someone who knows something about supernatural occurrences, and it all narrowed down to one potential person. Professor Erik Selvig, all the way in America.

Potential meaning, I probably will never see him in this lifetime. He lived for thirty years in America. It seemed extremely unlikely that he would ever come back to Norway, his birth country. Unless by some shining chance. What with everything that was going on in the news...

Destruction of entire cities, cities falling from the sky, evil organisations...it was all something of disbelief but apparently, they happened. If there was one person who understood, it was Eric Selvig or his partner, Dr. Foster. All the way in America. It was hard not to lose hope.

So now I had to make do with what I had; nothing. I wasn't smart enough to discover new theories or new worlds. I wasn't rich enough to randomly decide to travel. I wasn't streetwise to be able to get about on my own and depressingly enough, I still needed the permission of my parents. I was just a walking accident who managed to get a scholarship into Oslo, god knows how.

What was I going to be again, according to Rakkel? An advocate and economist? Definitely not, in any way, closer to being an inter-existential scientist.

"Will that be all ma'am? " I asked politely, handing the shopping bag to the woman who was my age. She gave me a strange smile, as though surprised I would call her ma'am. I gave her an apologetic one of my own. Store protocol.

The day dragged on and by then my mind was numb. It was not that I didn't like my job per se, but I enjoyed over thinking a lot more. Over thinking and doing nothing. And I was thinking about Ivar, imagine how distracted I was. I tried not to seem too distracted just because it was my first day on the job and my employer was observing me.

"What do you think about this lingerie?" a customer asked me, holding up a thong that was more string than fabric.

"It's nice," I said vaguely. It was tricky, dealing with customers, I find. I can easily and unwittingly offend one of them, "I'd buy it,"