II~Chapter 13: Unlawful

The fury and rage that Ivar felt intoxicated his senses. Watching Yasmeen, gorgeous, dependable, perfect Yasmeen, be taken away, in nothing but rags, with a thrall's chain around her neck, enraged him. Yasmeen wasn't meant to be in filthy, overworn rags. She was meant to be in the finest silk, decked in the most lustrous gold. So simple was Ivar's mistake--but it cost his happiness--even if it was only for a month. But with Harald, Ivar knew that Harald would sooner rape, mutilate, and torture her, and incite war in the process, for the thrill of power it would give him. Ivar didn't look at Harald. He didn't need to; smugness radiated from the cunt.

Ivar snapped his head to the shriveled lawmaker, the hatred in his chest suffocating him. 

"She was to be my wife," Ivar couldn't help it, he needed to say something--but he couldn't say it. 

"Then it would have been better to serve her punishment now--rather than after you have bonded," Midrigar said, unsympathetic and unconcerned.

"Then I would like to bring forth a complaint," Ivar bit out.  "I have the right--same as him."

"You do," Midrigar said. "Against whom do you bring forth this complaint?"

"Against several culprits, you may decide for yourself, if you proclaim yourself just. The Allting is held, ceremonially, three times a year, as is our custom, after the three named norns. Once in the Autumn solstice, once in the Summer solstice and once in the Winter Solstice, officially. It can be held no more than nine times a year, unceremoniously, for the worlds that our Yggdrasil holds, once for every mother of Heimdall, our great overseer, at the beginning of each month save for the first three of the year, in consideration to our raiding seasons. No exceptions can be lawfully made, since this Allting is held today, on the 8th eve of the eighth month. No Allting can be lawfully held on the eighth day of any month, certainly not the eighth month. On this matter, the law has been violated. Do you deny, Lawmaker?"

"Ivar," Ubbe hissed behind him, "Do not--"

"Shut up," Ivar hissed back. 

"I do not," Midrigar said stiffly, his beady eyes watching Ivar coldly. The old fart really thought he was getting away with this.

"That means that every decision you made here today is unlawful, do you deny?"

"I do not." Midrigar said stiffly. "I will resign my seat to you as lawmaker for today, so this trial may proceed justly. I trust you Ivar, as a Lawmaker, trained and trialed under the Allting and the Former Queen Aslaug, and a Prince of State yourself, to be just and mindful.""

"As it should," Ivar nodded approvingly. Now he played all the cards. Ivar turned and looked the Shamed King dead in the eyes--the man looked livid. Furious even.  "I shall not disappoint."

"Proceed," Hargur, another Lawmaker croaked. 

The people murmured uneasily. "Then Harald's claim has no bearing--nor does your verdict. Your punishment towards Herfna is unjust and unfounded then. Do you deny?"

"I do not," Midrigar said, seemingly unfazed, but clearly uncomfortable.

"Are there any objections or commentations towards this claim?" Ivar called out, looking towards all the witnesses.

"You cannot disregard a King's claim!" It was Prince Halfdan who spoke. His face was red with displeasure. Good.

"Is a King not held accountable for his own folly? King Harald called an unlawful Allting, to which you all answered, unlawfully, and caused the unlawful injury of one of my citizens on an unlawful claim. Does that sound lucid to you, my Prince?" Ivar sounded cold, even to himself, and he was surprised. That quickly turned to satisfaction when everyone shifted.