Chapter Five - The Act Of Acting Oblivious

Defenestrate:

(v.) To throw someone or something out of the window.

Chapter Five – The Act Of Acting Oblivious

----------

In every American teen-program you see these kids drinking al-cohol as if it's water and only after three bottles of Whiskey they get drunk. The morning after seems to be just fine for them, no problem with having to get up early and go to school.

I, on the other hand, seem to have the worst headache ever. My mouth feels dryer than ever before and the simple task of rolling over hurts so much. This pounding in my head won't go away and it's the most frustrating thing ever.

Luckily there's no feeling of sticky shirts, only my pants are still on.

'Sir, I think it's time to wake up.' I hear a sweet voice say and my eyes shoot open as I don't recognize it as Charlotte's. Immedi-ately I am greeted by the sight of Evan Knight and I groan as the light invades my eyes.

'What time is it?' I ask him as I sit up, or at least attempt to.

'Seven sir, but I have to be at work around nine.' I give him a small nod of my head as I look around the room and I notice that I'm in his bed.

'Where did you sleep and how did I get here?' He simply stares at me for a moment, contemplating if he should tell me or not. He seems to have come to a conclusion as he scratches on his head and opens his mouth to start talking.

'You see, sir, you were pretty drunk last night and when I was looking at your phone to see if I could call anyone for you there were a lot of angry messages. I didn't read them all of course, but I think your wife must be pretty worried. You obviously are here for a reason, so I decided to take you home and let you decide if you want to talk to Mrs. Donahew.' I stare at him confused for a while as the information slowly registers in my mind and the first thing I do is scold. I look around for my phone and I see it on the night stand next to the bed.

It takes a little while to start up, but as soon as it's on I get flooded by hundreds of messages. Not only from Charlotte, but also from Grace, my parents and even her parents.

Suddenly I don't care about where he slept anymore, I immedi-ately ring Charlotte while stepping out of bed. It doesn't take more than two seconds for her to pick up the phone and I am anx-ious to hear what she has to say.

'Oh Gosh, is that you Alexander? I was so worried! I am in-credibly sorry for what I said to you last night!' I somehow still feel guilty about the fact that she's crying, but it does give me what I want, her understanding. 'It is okay Charlotte, I am sorry too. I will go to work and see you in the afternoon okay?' I whis-per what I say to her, almost afraid that Evan will pick up what I am saying to her.

'That is okay, I am glad to hear that you're alright. Just um, I maybe told my parents who told your parents that you were gone.' I almost swear again, but I hold the words back just in time.

'Why would you do that, Char. You know that will cause a lot of problems!' I whisper at her, but she throws something back almost immediately.

'Well if you weren't so childish and stay away for the whole night, I wouldn't have to do that!' I don't give her a response, I don't even acknowledge the fact that the words leave her mouth, I simply hang up the phone and toss it on the bed. I just stare at the wall in front of me, why would she do something like that!?

I don't care if she would be extremely angry with me, I wouldn't give a damn if she would throw every possible assault at me, but telling her and my parents is the worst thing she can do. Not only will they be mad at me, the whole community will make sure to let me know that this is not OK. I get pulled out of my thoughts by a hand on my shoulder and I look at the boy standing behind me.

'Are you having problems with your wife, s-' he cuts himself off as I give him a pointed look. I still don't like it that he calls me sir. 'I am not married to Charlotte.' I answer him, but the tone of my voice probably tells him enough.

'Do you want any coffee?' He ask me sweetly, instead of ask-ing more about Charlotte. I give him a swift nod and pick up my shirt from the chair. I put it on and follow him to the next room and I see the same couch that caused all of his problems.

'How is your stomach?' I ask him when he has his back turned to me. He seems to contemplate what to answer, as if he's afraid that I will walk out again.

'It's still a bit sore, but the bruising has gotten better.' He gives me a small smile over his shoulder and I can't help but think about how Charlotte always does that.

'That's good.' I mumble half-heartedly as I sit down at the small table.

I just stare off into space as Even makes me some coffee and I start thinking about something I have to do today. There is noth-ing that has to be done outside the office, so as long as Grace brings along a suit for me everything will be fine. The smell of coffee hits my nose, but it isn't pleasant at all. He turns around with shame written all over his face and I almost coo at his lost expression.

'No coffee for us today.' He whispers. I roll my eyes as the suggestion leaves my mouth, but I don't regret it.

'Let's go out and grab some coffee before work, it's on me.' He nods his head fast and I motion him towards the door with a hand on his back.

The smell that reaches my nose here in the café is a lot better than that of Evan's coffee and he seems to agree as he inhales deeply. 'Thank you, Alexander.' As my name leaves his lips I let a large smile appear on my face.

'My pleasure, sir Knight.' I say teasingly and he blushes bright red.

'You should call me Evan if you expect me to call you Alexan-der.' He says full confidence and I have to blink twice to see if this is really the same guy as before.

'As you wish Evan.' He giggles, actually giggles, before looking back down at his hands that are wrapped around his warm mug. The comfortable silence gets broken as my phone rings and I sigh as Grace's name flashes on the screen. I look apologetic up at Evan as I pick it up, but he simply smiles and shrugs his shoulders.

'Alexander Donahew.' I say, even though I already know who's calling.

'Alexander what a nice surprise. I need you at the office in half an hour.' Her voice if firm and she won't let me bullshit her into letting this slip, but she isn't angry. Otherwise she would have said so.

'Um, so I would love to see you right now, but I'm kind of not in my neighborhood and I don't have my car.' I scratch the back of my head as I prepare myself for her speech, but she surprises me with a gentle sigh.

'Text me the address and I'll send someone to pick you up.' She doesn't address the fact that I wasn't home, or that I didn't pick up the phone the first thousand times she called. She acts like she always does, like my assistant and a friend.

'My assistant has send someone to pick me up.' I say as I put back the phone and look up at the boy who's still sitting opposite of me.

'No problem, I enjoyed spending time with you.' I smile at him as I stand up.

'And I enjoyed spending time with you, young sir.' He throws his head back with laughter and lets go of his mug.

'Can I, maybe, call you sometimes?' He asks me shyly and I give him an approving nod.

'Please do so.' I answer before leaving the café.

----------

A/N: I dedicated this chapter to @tillinna because you're my biggest supporten and I love your comments!

Please let me know what you thought of this chapter by leaving a comment and a vote?

~Noortje