Chapter Twelve - Lunch

Paraprosexia:

(n.) Constant distraction.

Chapter Twelve - Lunch

----------

Over the last couple of weeks Evan and I had been visiting each other as often as we could. Where normally I didn't want to leave the office to have lunch, I now took every opportunity I had to leave so I could be with him. Grace is suspicious as ever, but her professionality won't let her question my actions.

I sigh as I stare at the bottom of my screen. For the last four hours I have been checking all the client files to sort everything out and I am so incredibly bored. My eyes light up as I look at the date, the second of October. It will be Evan's birthday in two days and I am clueless to what to do. I can't exactly invite him to come over, because of course Charlotte will be there. And I can't take him somewhere near home, because everyone's out on Saturday. I do think I have to make or give him something. It will be the first birthday with me there and I want to make him remember it. 

"I don't think sitting behind your desk all day will make your work better. I suggest you go outside and take yourself on a well-deserved date." I shake my head as Grace's words register in my mind. 

"I can't t go now. I'm almost finished, only five more minutes." She walks towards me and closes the files I was working on.

"Eat and then come back to finish it." I sigh and let my head fall onto my desk as Grace walks out of the office. Evan's not there this lunch, because the restaurant is celebrating their tenth years anniversary. That means he'll have to stay there and give food for way too low prices to very undeserving guests. 

Maybe I could pay him a visit at the restaurant where he works. I don't care much about quality, as long as it tastes alright I don't care if it's a hundred dollars or one. I have to say that for me it tastes better when I spend one dollar. 

I roll my eyes at my own thoughts as I stand up and pick up my jacket from the coat hanger. I make sure that my wallet, keys and phone are in my pocket before making my way out of my office. Grace seems to be too fixated on her work to notice me passing by so I just walk on to the elevators. It's not too bad to have Grace by my side. She always reminds me of things and helps me, even with personal issues. As long as it's not too much out of the box she can help me.

A sigh leaves me as the thought crosses my mind again. Even Grace, as outgoing as she is, thinks like all the other people do. If she would get as much of a sniff of the truth she would expose me and make sure my life will be a living hell. 

The sound of the elevator shakes me out of my thoughts and I smile as I see Jake, another chauffeur from the company, waiting for me in the hall. He gives me a polite hand shake as he leads me to his car. I give him the address and within half an hour I'm at the restaurant Evan works at. I thank Jake as I get out of the car and make my way into the restaurant. 

As expected it is crowded, but I find a small table in the corner of the restaurant. Without waiting for one of the waiters to help me I walk towards it and take a seat. From here I can look around the room without being bothersome. I take the menu and look through it for a bit. My choice if fast made as I see my favourite dish on one of the first few pages. 

I get frustrated when it takes a while for someone to notice me, so I decide to just look through the menu again, scrolling over the unfamiliar words. I get distracted when I hear his angelic voice, but he seems oblivious to the fact that I'm the one sitting here.

"Good afternoon sir, excuse me but it's been crazy busy." I smile at the fact that he says sir now, it just seems so weird now. 

"We're on sir base again? I thought we had moved past that?" Evan's head shoots up at the sound of my voice and the stressed expression changes to a smile. He looks around for a second before taking a seat in front of me.

"What are you doing here?" He asks me excitedly.

"Well I wanted to visit you, but my need for food was too big, so I decided to combine the two." His only response is a small chuckle and for a couple of moments we just stare at each other. It's s not until we hear someone behind us screaming that we break it. I quickly give him my order so he can go on with his shift. 

Luckily it doesn't take long for my double cheeseburger to arrive. It's just a guilty pleasure of mine that I don't get to eat that often. Charlotte is really a person of healthy food and stuff, the most unhealthy thing we eat is her pizza and even that is not greasy. As I am eating I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and as I get it out I see a text from Charlotte. 

To: [Me]

From: [Charlotte]

12:45 p.m. 

GOT MY PROMOTION! Going away for two days tomorrow NY xx

I sigh as I read her text. She used to never go on trips for work, or any other kind of thing. And now she's been gone for four weeks in the span of three months. But then I think about Evan's birthday, this is the perfect opportunity. I will get to invite him to my house for his birthday so I don't have to worry about other people assuming things. And most of all, Charlotte won't have to expect anything. 

To: [Charlotte] 

From: [Me]

12:48 p.m.

GOOD JOB BABY! That's OK. Same people, same place?

I stare at my text a little longer than I normally do. What if I come of too excited or something? Maybe she'll expect something if I react like this. I shake my head in annoyance of my own thought, I never had to think twice about telling Charlotte something. It's frustrating that I now think over everything I do over and over again in anxiety of the fact that she maybe could figure it out. I take a deep breath to calm myself as I push the plate of my half-eaten cheeseburger away. I so wished I could just tell her and to have her really accept me.

To: [Me]

From: [Charlotte]

12:50 p.m.

Same people same place x

"Are you OK?" I hear Evan ask me as he sees me with my hands on my head. I just shrug my shoulders and look him in the eye.

"Tomorrow evening, I'll call you a taxi to get to me at eight. Is that alright?" I ask him, but I know that my voice sounds too harsh and clipped off. He smiles at me nonetheless and I can see the excitement on his face.

"I would love that. Do you want to pay right now?" I give him a small nod and he motions me to walk along. I follow him to the front of the restaurant and he types something on the screen before a receipt comes rolling out. He hands it to me as I give him a few bills and decline his change.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I whisper to him as I walk away and without him having to say it, I know he thinks it too.

----------

A/N: HIIIII I have not much to say about this, I just hope you enjoyed it?

Please leave behind a comment and vote?

Words: 1328~Noortje