Chapter Thirteen - Happy Birthday

Croodle:

(v.) To cuddle or nestle together, as from fear or cold.

(v.) To make a noise like a dove.

Chapter Thirteen - Happy Birthday

----------

"Why can't I do it myself?" Charlotte asks from where she's seated on the bed.

"It's only for two days, I can handle packing your stuff. I mean there's a toothbrush, your complete make-up bag, a pair of pajama's, some fancy clothes for the day and comfy clothes for in the evening. That's it right?" She doesn't say anything, but her eyes look just past me. As I turn around I roll my eyes at the sight of her passport. 

"Details." I mutter as I pick it up and put it in the front of her suitcase. 

Just when everything's done and ready the doorbell rings and Charlotte runs downstairs. I roll my eyes again as Jared's annoying voice reaches my ear, but I stay as calm as ever. With Charlotte's suitcase in my hands I walk down the stairs, but I'm confused as I see Grace standing there too. 

"Grace, to what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask as I stop in front of her and Jared. Charlotte doesn't seem to be confused at all, but then again she still thinks that Grace likes her. 

"Well I know you weren't planning on coming to the office today, but there's been a surprise visit of one of your ex-employees. The one you fired after that accident with mister Knight." I let out a sigh and rub my hands tiredly over my eyes.

"Will that guy ever just back off?" Charlotte shoots me a worried look and it's only then that I realize that she probably hasn't even seen the article yet. 

"Everything alright?" She asks me with a concerned look and just for her sake I put on a smile. 

"Yeah, it's fine. Go and have a nice conference sweetheart." I give her a small kiss on her lips and deep down I feel the same guilt as before. But it somehow becomes easier to lie to her and to betray her in this way. With a small nod of her head and an awkward wave from Jared they're off, leaving me alone with Grace.

"And what's the real reason that you're here?" I ask her as I close the door behind Charlotte's back. For a second she stares at me, surprised by the fact I figured her out. 

"How exactly did you know that wasn't the real reason I'm here?" She asks me as she tilts her head sideways. 

"You never come here when you're not sure if Charlotte will be home or not. And then again if you need me, you always call." She pouts a bit as she nods along, agreeing with my argumentation. 

"Fair enough. The real reason that I'm here is because you can't come in this weekend." I roll my eyes and let a sigh escape me. I wasn't planning to go to work, simply because it's Evan's birthday tomorrow, but of course she doesn't know that.

"And why can't I?" While I'm asking her a question Grace takes an apple from my fruit bowl. She wipes it of on her shirt before taking a big bite. I raise my eyebrow at her, but she doesn't seem fazed. 

"They're planning a full day of activities for tomorrow and I don't want to be there only to be forced to play games. So if you're not there, I don't have to be either." She gives me the biggest fake smile she can muster and I bite my lip in order to stop myself from laughing. 

"Fine." She seems genuinely surprised by my answer, but as soon as it really registers she's out of the room.

"See you on Monday!" She screams as she runs out of the door. Well, for me it's a good thing that they don't expect me to come in tomorrow. So I'll just have to do some groceries and invite him to come over a little earlier. I take my phone out of my pocket and decide to inform him immediately.