II

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

  A constellation of tears on your lashes
Burn everything you love, then burn the ashes
In the end everything collides
My childhood spat back out the monster that you see  

~

The maze around me seemed to do a good job of masking me from the horrifying scene that occurred. I clenched my teeth, glaring down at my hands. 

There were perfectly normal, smooth skin stretched taut over bone and tissue. No glowing residue on my hands, no intense heat that felt almost scorching.

I trekked deeper into the maze, ditching the flats I wore so I could feel the earth under my curling toes. The vines were intertwining above me, creating a beautifully wicked overhang. With the moonlight pouring in from the pockets of space, the path was almost ethereal.

I always envied Mom's power over the earth. But now, that power belonged to me. 

Raising my hand, I let the power take its course through my blood stream. Mom always used her hands to concentrate her affinity, and so did Varian when he used his acid. Channeling it through, I focused on my fingertips, to get them brimming with energy. 

Once the tingling sensation was steady in my fingers, I closed my hand into a fist. The overhang became denser, new sprouts popping forth and aging rapidly. When I loosened the fist, the overhang retreated back to its original position, the fresh green dying into a dark brown before crackling off and landing on the path.

"Impressive."

I snapped back, the instincts my father ingrained in me seething to life. I lunged forward, delivering a punch to the man masked by shadows. The man was quicker than me, more fluid in his movements. He redirected my arm and sent me stumbling back. 

I felt a growl vibrate in my throat. 

"Child assassin, I've heard quite a lot about you." the low chuckle was unnerving. 

"Who are you? Step into the light, or I'll force you."

The man snorted. "Force me? Highly unlikely. Especially after that rather embarrassing show of trying to hit me."

"I don't have to touch you to make you appear." Uncurling my fist, the vines obeyed my silent command to retreat. 

The man was exposed, and my mouth ran dry when I saw the silver eyed Lycan. 

"Fair enough," Thick dark brown hair was pushed back rather messily, some strands lying across his sculpted face

"Fair enough," Thick dark brown hair was pushed back rather messily, some strands lying across his sculpted face. Longer locks were tucked behind one ear, twirling at the nape of his neck.