IX

© 2018 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved

~

Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young
How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from?

~
Kendra met with us down stairs, her teeth worrying her bottom lip.

"Kristos hasn't returned yet."

Tempest caught her arm amidst her pacing. "I'm sure he'll return eventually. Do you know where he went?"

She shook her head. "I can't call him, I can only use one pearl or shell a day to communicate, it's a lot of my power."

"What about the locator spell? The one you used to bring Faye and her mates back?" I suggested.

"No," she sighed and collapsed on the couch. "the spell only works with his reaper reserves. I'd need an immense power source for that- I'd be pulling him from time and space. The price isn't cheap for that level of magic."

Tempest rummaged around in the fridge while I snatched a blanket for Kendra.

"My dad...why does he hate you so much? I know your current...state, isn't just because of Kristos missing."

She toyed with the frayed edges of the blanket, her gaze fixed on the fire place.

"Your father was hurt by my sister, his life was twisted because of her. And he never expected her to follow him throughout the years as he found his true mate. I think, in a way, that he believes I've become her now that her powers transferred to me. Mermaids are always twins, and our powers are split between the two of us. Our powers are what makes us who we are. So when her powers of delivering the prophecy and giving curses came to me upon her death, Stark thought that we had fused, especially when I told him about the prophecy bout you. Katya knows it's not true, but she has her worries. The more she reads the stars, the more she can look into what's going on with me."

Tempest set a smoothie on the coffee table where I was sitting across of Kendra. "Your mom should be careful. Reading the stars is dangerous business."

I raised a brow. "What do you know about reading stars?"

He avoided my question entirely, but his brief glance at me told me all I needed to know.

"I'm going for a walk," Tempest muttered, his voice gruff.

He leaned down to ruffle Kendra's bangs. He jerked his head for me to follow.

I pressed the smoothie into her hand. "My parents are wrong about you. You're not Kaleesi. We can prove it to them after this is all over."

She nodded miserably and sank deeper into the couch.

Tempet grabbed my hand, pulling me around the corner to the back of the stair case.

"I have books on star reading. I'll give them to you, but we have to go to my house."

"Why do I need books on star reading?"

"You need to learn it- properly. Your mom is probably doing it wrong, and it's gonna ruin her later on."

I caught onto his words. "I can't believe this. Ruin her? My mom has been reading the stars since I turned ten, she's perfectly fine. What could possibly happen?"

"Your mom- she-" he growled in frustration. "I can't tell you."

"Okay, fair enough. I'll tell Kendra and we can head out."