XII

© 2019 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved. 

~

I'd trade my luck to know

Why he's caught in the crossfire

And I'm here wakin' up

To the sun and the sound of birds

~

LUX

I kicked back from the wall, driving my elbow into Tempest's sternum.

"You son of a bitch." I breathed out.

He rounded to face me, a palm soothing the new bruise on his chest. "That's no way to treat me, princess. Now hand over the knife. The quicker you comply, the easier it'll be for you."

"Are you possessed?" I made sure not to enter the circle again, keeping a watchful eye on Tempest's movements.

Despite my self-assurance, I knew that I didn't have a chance with Tempest right now, not with my powers going haywire if I tried to use them.

"No. Not possessed. I just know what I want." he bit out.

I noticed his movements became more slow and languid, almost predatory.

"Why are you doing this? Why does your mother want to kill all the Royals?"

He smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "My lips are sealed. Now come here."

"No." I jutted my chin out. "Come and get me."

He lunged forward just as I curled my hand into a fist, pulling it down. Vines burst through the ceiling and ruptured from the wood floor beneath us, weaving a thick green wall that gave me enough time to run out before his wind cut through the vines. 

I snatched up his book before searching for an exit at the stairs. He would be expecting me to run out of the front door. My eyes searched for another escape route. Through the glass-stained window, I saw the roof of another building nearby. 

"Goddess help me," I swore under my breath, giving myself only a moment's pause before I threw myself off the railing at the top of the staircase. Brass metal cut into my hand from the chandelier as I swung through the window and made a barely acceptable roll onto the roof.

I broke the skin on my lip with my fangs as my werewolf traits caused the glass shards to eject from my body. 

I barely caught Tempest's furious gaze before I jumped down from the other side of the building. 

The fire escape groaned under my sharp weight. I wrapped an arm and leg around the pole next to the fire escape and slid down. It wasn't until I landed on my left leg that I realized I had a pretty big chunk of blue glass sticking out of my leg that refused to exit.

I hobbled into a convenience store, crashing my way into the bathroom. It was surprisingly cleaner than most, but not enough for me to feel no apprehension at pulling out a glass shard from my calf.