III

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

  I watched it all in my head, perfect sense

They'll take me from me my bed

Leave everything that is worth a single cent and

 just take me instead  

 ~

"Lux, stay back." Stark muttered, kneeling down to further examine the ash that burned.

It was terrifyingly beautiful, black with specs of glittering purple. 

Tempest crouched down with him, swiping some of the dust on his hand before pinching it between his fingers. "This is Varanicon." 

Stark seemed mildly surprised that he knew what it was. I was surprised that he knew what it was. 

Ignoring my father's warning, I stepped closer, Mom following in suit. "I thought Varanicon was a byproduct of Underworld creatures?"

"It is." Mom bit her lip, crossing her arms as she contemplated the meaning. "But this doesn't make sense. I asked Kendra to place barriers around the villa. No unwelcome visitors should've been able to pass through."

Tempest glanced up at my Mom after meeting Stark's eyes. "What if it was a Trojan horse?"

I raised a brow but kept silent at the look Stark gave me. 

"Hear me out," Tempest stood up. "Gemma was a welcome guest, wasn't she? The creature could've snuck in using her."

"But how would she not know she was being tagged by an Underworld creature?" I pointed out.

Stark analyzed the dust once more before standing up. "I am unsure of that. I'll consult with Draver and Jazz. As of recently, they're more familiar with the Underworld."

Stark walked off, gesturing with a sleight nod to Jasper and Draver to follow him. Tempest went with him, meeting my eyes over his shoulder before they disappeared into the villa.

"Come on, let's go inside."

I broke my gaze at the door to see Faye. She was beautiful as ever, even more so with her hair tied up in a high ponytail, her face framed by long wispy bangs.

"Sure." I agreed shakily, grasping my Mom's hand tightly as we walked inside.

Babushka was no where to be seen, and neither was Varian or Nikolai. 

Damen was inside, clearing up the remnants of a medical kit. His head tilted to the left, a sign that he heard us entering. "If you're looking for the men, they're in the conference room."

"I'm just going to sleep." I smiled weakly at Mom. 

She frowned but pulled me into a hug. "We'll make sense of this. For now, just stay in your room and be safe, okay Lux?"

She pressed a kiss on my forehead before walking down the hallway to the conference room. 

Faye escorted me upstairs, pausing before entering my room.

"Just so you know," Faye said quietly. "You're not wrong, or messed up, or a defect in her bloodline. All that shit your grandmother said isn't true."

I roughly scrubbed at my eyes, "Aren't I though? A Royal who can't turn werewolves into Lycans?"

Faye punched my shoulder lightly, though due to her strength it felt like an actual punch. I grimaced but played it off, not wanting to worry her. Faye was always sensitive about her new strength.