XIV

~

Maybe it's just a daydream

Cause I've been feeling like I'm floating above the rooms I'm in

Wake up, what a night

The perfect night to sink into the floor and die

~

The house seemed more quiet and eerie than when they'd first arrived. It probably didn't help that there was a chill from the open hole in the side of the house from my earlier escape attempt. 

His fingers dropped from my chin to deftly remove the cuffs. "Don't bother escaping. I did a few magical upgrades to keep vampire-werewolf Servants in."

Tempest pocketed the cuffs, turning to walk the opposite way of the study where Francesca did her star-reading.

I followed him down the corridor where there were two empty rooms. One was well lived in while the other was a guest bedroom.

"You'll stay here." he pointed to the beach themed bedroom. "I'll be right across if you need anything."

I smiled viciously. "Don't count on me coming in to save you from night terrors."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he snapped back, walking briskly to the study.

I kept a close eye on him, searching for any weaknesses or faults in his armor. But he was impeccable with his defense, despite knowing that it wasn't possible for me to attack him.

Mom always told me it was to prevent Servant Reapers from harvesting the souls of others too early. 

"So that's your plan- just kill all of us? Do you even have a guarantee that Grimm will accept the souls?" I leaned against the doorjamb, watching as he sank into a chair and poured over even more magic books.

He didn't answer.

"Okay, then what about any guarantee that Francesca will be out of her comatose state?"

He paused, looked up, then sent a gust of wind from his palm that slammed the door in front of my face.

"Someone didn't think from all angles!" I sang through the door, rolling my eyes. 

I headed down to the kitchen and hoped that something would be enough for me. The fridge was stocked with an assortment of vegetables. Not even a pack of bacon. 

Was he a vegetarian? 

Further inspection revealed that he had oat milk. 

"He's vegan." I said out loud, dumbfounded. 

Most werewolves adored meat. In fact, Stark hunted rabbits for a special stew Mom loved every time her birthday rolled around. 

I slipped my tongue over my teeth. Canines were retracted, but the vampire incisors were still down. Hopefully the spinach in the fridge would be enough iron to satisfy the urges. 

I spun around with the container of spinach only to drop it at the sight in front of me.

Auguste was in the living room, with Anya.

She gave a small wave that seemed almost timid. "Hello, anata."

Auguste turned his head around to see me. "I see his plan worked." 

So those two were in on it too. 

I reached down to pick up the spinach because what the fuck else was I going to do?