Chapter 3- Picking Up The Pieces

***PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER IF YOU LIKED IT! THANKS!***

CHAPTER 3- PICKING UP THE PIECES

The Guest’s Bedroom
Hades’ Palace
The Underworld

One Week Later…

-Hera-

I heard the door open but I continued to pretend to be asleep.

It was relatively easy for my eyes were so heavy and swollen that they looked shut even when I was awake anyway.

I felt the bed depress and felt Aerith’s presence. She was Hades’ queen and also one of my dearest friends. When she was new to being queen, Amphitrite and I helped train her. Now, she is both powerful and elegant—every inch a queen.

Truly fitting to be the Queen of the Underworld.

She also has a good heart and offered for me to stay here in their majestic palace. I didn’t want to go back to Olympus. And I hadn’t gone back there since I left Zeus last week. I wanted to but I remained firm in my decision.

It’s time to think about my own good.

There were a lot of gods and goddesses who offered me a place to stay. But I didn’t want to stay with them for I knew that they just wanted to see how low the Queen of Olympus has sunk.

With them, I’ll be like a dying animal on a zoo: in misery and bared for all to see.

So I opted to stay here.

Hades and Aerith have been great hosts and they left me alone for the past week. Aerith came to see me from time to time but I was unfit for company. She just stayed by my side and held me when I cried my heart out.

And for that, I will be eternally grateful.

“Hera…” she whispered.

I still continued my act of being asleep.

Aerith sighed and moved closer. “Hera, I know you are awake.”

I let out the breath I was holding and opened my eyes. I closed them instantly for the brightness of the room blinded me. I reached for the box of tissues beside my bed and grabbed one to wipe my eyes and at least make me presentable for the Queen of the Underworld.

If there was something I still had after I lost my husband, my home, my riches—it would be my pride.

I tried to sit-up slowly so my head would not spin.

Then, I saw what must have been hundreds of tissues scattered all over my bed and on the carpet. Aerith saw that I noticed and waved her hand. Instantly, everything vanished and the room was set to right.

“Thank you for letting me stay here,” I told Aerith.

She smiled. “It’s nothing. Since Hades renovated the palace, it’s much bigger and there are hundreds of rooms that are unused.”

“I hope you’re not here to tell me that I have to go…” I cursed myself when my voice broke.

“No!” she cried quickly. “You’re welcome here as long as you want! That’s what friends are for, right?”