Chapter 14- Diamonds or Rocks?

***PLEASE VOTE FOR THE STORY IF YOU LIKED IT!***

.

CHAPTER 14- DIAMONDS OR ROCKS?

 .

The Same Day
Little Chinatown
New York City

 .

-Zeus-

 .

One touch, one kiss… or even one look from her sent me up in flames.

Nothing felt as good as this.

Hera sighed against my lips and I wrapped my arms around her to hold her closer. How can I give this up? How can I forget how this felt? How can I pursue other women when I already had this kind of perfection in my arms?

A thousand years I’ve wasted simply because I’m a fool.

I wanted to take Hera to Olympus now and waste no more time… but I can’t. I have to win her back… truly win her back this time. I want there to be no doubt in her mind when she finally remembers everything.

I gave her one last kiss and pulled back. She sighed once more and opened her eyes. “Why?” she whispered. I frowned. She made a move to step back but I didn’t wish to let her go… yet. Seeing her laughing with that mortal and him holding her sent me into bloodlust.

The winds and the skies immediately responded to my anger. Dark, storm clouds covered the night sky and a strong thunderstorm started to brew. Right then and there, I wanted to smite the mortal with one of my strongest bolts.

But that would be cheating.

I wouldn’t win Hera’s heart like that. Besides, killing the mortal would mean that I was considering him as serious competition for Hera’s heart. And even if he actually was competition and I killed him, it wouldn’t be winning fair and square.

“What do you mean?” I asked Hera after I remembered her question.

“You said that I’m yours and you’ll never let me go. But we’re divorced. Why?”

I blanched at her question. Why, indeed?

The fates dissolved our bond yet our minds were still in sync. I was just thinking of how I was a fool to let her go. And I guess this was the answer to her question.

“I’m a stupid man, Hera. I lost sight of what I have. I forgot what’s important. I wanted more power and pursued other women. I cheated and in pursuing more, I forgot what was already mine…” I answered.

Pain flashed in her eyes. How many times have I seen this? How many times has she cried in front of me before? The pain in her eyes was genuine yet after several hundred years and mortal pursuits, I put down her tears as nothing.

Before, I comforted her and held her. I promised that I would change and she believed me. But I didn’t. After a thousand years, she didn’t cry anymore. Yet I still saw the same pain in those hazel eyes.

“Thank you for being honest with me,” she replied. She stepped back again and this time I let her go.

“What do you want from me, Zeus?”

The answer to that was easy. “You.”

“Why?”

“They say you’ll never value what you have until it is taken from you. I wasted years of our lives because I was comforted by the fact that you’ll always be there. But when you ended our marriage, it tore me apart. Losing you was like losing everything I had—my life, my home, someone I could be myself with. I learned my lesson, Hera. I’ve changed and I don’t want to let you go. What I said was true… I’ll never let you go. The world would fade before my love for you does.”