viii ▷ the fall of hydra.

E I G H T

08. | the fall of hydra.
there can't always be a happy ending

steve.

THE ENGINE of the motorbike roars as I speed through the woods. Nothing bad has happened so far, but I've only just crossed the line entering the outskirts of the last Hydra base. The plan for the mission rings through my head, telling me exactly what I am supposed to do.

My thoughts are disrupted by the sound of multiple engines following behind me, multiple Hydra soldiers. One shoots a blue laser at me, but it reflects off my shield that's on my back. I gasp, turning my head to face them. I immediately turn the corner, coming up with a quick plan to get these guys off my tail. After pressing a few buttons on the handles of my motorbike, it is shooting out a harpoon on each side that creates a line connecting two trees. A few of the soldiers duck underneath, however, some are flung off their bikes based on two screams. I grin, using more gadgets that are in my own bike.

I eventually get a trail of fire to shoot from the back of my motorbike, sending one rider up into flames. Another rams into a tree log, sending him flying from his bike. That leaves only two following me. I find my way around some trees so that it's me coming up behind them instead of the other way around. I speed up so that I easily pass between them. Right as I approach the one on the right, I grab a small grenade off of it and toss it behind me as I speed off ahead of them, an explosion erupting behind me.

In the valley of two mountains, there is a small stone barricade blocking the entrance of the base. A tank is right where the mouth of the stone is, ready to shoot at me. I take my shield off my back and secure it to the front of my bike as blue sparks begin to fly from the tank. I swerve around the rays of blue that shoot at me, the explosions ringing through my ears. I press yet another button on my bike, and the tank gets a taste of its own medicine, shooting it with a gadget that explodes it.

I drive up the side of the diagonal barricade, zooming off into the other side and into Hydra territory. I spot a few agents who are aiming their guns at me. They utterly miss as I zoom past them. I fumble with another button on my bike, and nothing happens for a moment. Before anything can, I grab my shield and hop off, taking a soldier down as soon as I hit the floor. Another one starts to come at me, but I fling my shield at him before he can shoot me. My shield ricochets back into my hand, and I continue with the mission.

My motorbike hits the wall of the base, exploding to create a gaping hole in the side of it.

I block a ray of blue coming from a soldier's gun, making my way towards him and kneeing him into a stack of trunks. I take out three other soldiers, ending with them all lying on the ground in defeat. I throw my shield at a wall of metal, and it reflects back into another soldier.

Just as I get rid of another one and take up my shield, a few soldiers surround me. Before I can do anything, a string of flames block my every way out around them. I can feel the heat around me. I pant, trying to come up with a plan. I think for a moment that I've got it covered when they extinguish the fire, but then over thirty soldiers surround me, and I'm being aimed at by every single one. I just stand there for a moment, letting two disarm me and escorting me inside the base like a prisoner.

We enter the large base, each one of them holding my arms behind my back and shoving me through the dark building. I try to see as much as possible, taking in as many details as I can. They stop me in the middle of a dimly lit room. I clench my jaw as I hear a door opening and a set of footsteps coming from it.