xxii ▷ the battle of the chitauri.

T W E N T Y  T W O

22. | the battle of the chitauri.
divide and conquer

steve.

"TIME TO go."

"Go where?" Agent Romanoff asks me.

I stand in the doorway, in uniform and ready to leave. "I'll tell you on the way there," I inform her. "Can you fly one of those jets?"

The other door in the room swings open, revealing Agent Clint Barton. After Natasha whacked him in the head when Loki carried out his little plan, the impact knocked him back into control. So now we have Clint on board. "I can," Clint says, entering the room.

I glance at Natasha, waiting for her okay. She nods in response. I look back at Clint. "You got a suit?" I ask.

He nods slowly.

"Then suit up."

And with that, all of us go to the dressing rooms where our suits are being held. I snatch up my shield while Clint grabs his bow and quiver and Natasha stashes all her various weapons. Afterwards the three of us step through the helicarrier in all our gear, ready to hijack a jet. I spot one with the hind hatch open, meaning someone's inside. There aren't many lights on inside as we step in, but there is a man inside.

"Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here," the agent tells us, stepping away from the computer he's fixing.

I set my jaw for a mere second before saying something before he can. "Son, just don't," I spit at him. For a moment I think to myself, This man is older than me, yet I'm calling him "son". I then realize it's probably just the suit talking, not me. Ever since I became the big and honorable "Captain America," I've treated all the operatives here like the kids that chased me for autographs. I'm playing the the legend all these people grew up with. As soon as the cowl comes on, I'm no longer Steve Rogers — I'm Captain America.

And thank god it works because he's out of the jet and we're out of the helicarrier within two minutes, on our way to assist Tony in the Big Apple.

[•]

As soon as we enter the big city, the first thing I see is a giant ray of blue light shining like a beacon over the top of the Stark Tower. There are things zooming everywhere around it through the sky, erupting chaos below. Just passing over the city, I can hear the sirens and screams from the citizens. This is not good.

"Stark, we're on your three, headed northeast," Agent Romanoff tells Tony Stark through the comms.

"What? Did you stop for drive-through?" I hear Stark's muffled voice reply. "Swing up park. I'm gonna lay 'em out for you."

Soon we're heading towards the Stark Tower, where Clint looks a little nervous. I soon see why after I look out the window — Thor and Loki are brawling outside the Tower. Loki sends a beam at the jet, causing us to lean and the engine to struggle. I have to grab on to a rail inside the jet to keep myself upright. So now I'm dangling from the ceiling of the wheezing jet while the left wing is on fire.

Great entrance.

That's when we have a sort of crash landing. After we dodged a few skyscrapers, the jet skid across the concrete, almost knocking into a building. Natasha and Clint unbuckle from their seats up front while I release the rail and retrieve my shield before we all head out the rear exit. As I step out, sirens ring through my ears as my feet crunch on top of the crumbled concrete. There are abandoned cars and people scrambling everywhere.