Chapter 3

When Cora returned that afternoon she was exhausted. It had been her day to help Ms. Patty around the house and she had had plenty for her to do. She loved her weekly visits to Dr. Foley's and Ms. Patty's because they were fond of her and grateful for all of the help she gave them. They were also her last link to her parents.

Next week would be her week to help Dr. Foley around the house and just have a quick visit with Ms. Patty so it would be a little easier.

She put the empty baskets on the table and pulled out the accounting books to meticulously add the commission check she had deposited into the bank. It gave her great relief to see the number a little healthier. She had also gotten another assignment which would help as well.

Cora loved her side job as an illustrator, she just didn't have as much time to dedicate to the task as she would have liked, but she would have to find a way to make more time because they needed the extra money. It would have to mean burning the candle at both ends.

She put away the books and replaced the scarf back on her head. It was time to start cleaning the study then the dining room, and if she made good time she might be able to spend a little time in the atrium.

She was just tying her apron around her narrow waist when Margie entered in a huff.

"That man's staying here to keep an eye on you." She poured them both a cup of coffee and motioned for Cora to sit. Cora didn't want to but she knew that if she didn't Margie would be more upset.

"I had to give him a tour of the house today and he went back to his house to get his things, he's going to be living here,"she repeated, looking at Cora who was sipping her coffee calmly. At least she appeared to be calm but her heart was beating dangerously fast. The Selkie was staying, she would have to guard her virtue.

She had to bite back a cynical laugh at the thought, there would be no way a plain jane like her would interest a man like him, and he hadn't even seen her hair yet. It would probably upset him as much as it did Aunt Mable.

"Why aren't you upset?" Margie hissed. "He'll be spying on us."

This time Cora did laugh. "And what exactly will he spy, us cleaning or cooking?"

"What about your drawing or the atrium, you know she would nix those as soon as she found out about them. She doesn't want you to have any joy."

"She won't find out Margie." Cora shrugged away the possibility even though she did feel a cold shiver of dread at he thought. Here she was worrying about whether the man would ever find her attractive when she should be worried about the threat that he posed to the running of the house. The last thing they needed was for her aunt to decrease the household allowance again.

Cora needed to be busy. She stood up and rinsed her cup before she gathered together her cleaning bucket. "I'll give the study a quick once over then move to the dining room."

"You'd better hurry, he said he would be working in there this afternoon."

He would be working in the study? That was her father's study. She couldn't help the worried frown that creased her brow. Was he going to take over the whole house?

"Has Aunt had her lunch?" Cora asked before she departed the kitchen.

"Yes, she ate like a horse." Margie snorted in disbelief. "There's a little leftover if you're hungry?"

"No." Cora shook her head. "Do we have enough for dinner for two this evening or do I need to run to the store and pick something up instead?"

"We're good, I have some chops that we can cook. I was going to make one for you since I knew you worked extra hard today, but now it will have to go to him. How are we going to afford an extra mouth to feed? You know he's not going to contribute, and if he does he'll give it to Mrs. Scott-Reed and she won't pass it on to us."

"I'll ask her for more money for the food bill since he's here. Maybe we'll get lucky."

Margie snorted again. "That will most likely backfire and you know it. She'll cut more from the budget."

"Where's your faith?" Cora asked with a forced smile, knowing Margie was most likely right.

"It died with your father Miss Cora." Margie turned away to wash her cup so she missed the tears in Cora's eyes.

"I'll be in the study if you need anything," she said softly then moved quietly through the cold house to clean the study before Garrett Reed arrived.

She had just about finished when the door opened and Garrett entered along with a dog, whose fur was just as dark as its master's hair. It padded over to where Cora was kneeling on the floor wiping down a baseboard.

She couldn't help the smile that lit her face, she would have loved a pet but her father had been allergic and Aunt Mable had forbid it. The dog shoved its cold nose in Cora's face before giving her a gentle nudge and knocking her off balance, she fell with a laugh as she accepted kisses from the gentle giant.

"Roxi!" he commanded softly and the dog and her warmth left Cora and moved back towards her master.

"She's beautiful," Cora said with a smile at the dog whose tale thumped in response. Cora started to pick-up her things, ready to depart for the dining room. After she had all of her things gathered she turned to look at Garrett. "What should I call you, would you prefer Garrett or Mr. Reed?"

"Garrett is fine," he said watching her with a cold disinterest. "And I'll call you Cora."

She nodded as she moved to slip by him. "Please enjoy the room, it was my father's favorite. If you're cold, there is a little space heater under the desk."

"What about the fire?" He raised an eyebrow in question.

"I'm afraid it's too much work. Most of the rooms have little space heaters though, just be sure you don't burn the house down." She turned to leave but turned back as she had a quick thought.

"Will you be having dinner with us in the kitchen or with Aunt Mable?"

"What's wrong with the dining room?" he asked. "Is it too much work?" his voice was sarcastically mocking.

It was, but Cora would be dammed before she told him that it was. "No, if that is where you would prefer to eat then we will serve it there. What time?"

"Seven and you'll eat with me."

Cora couldn't see a way out of it without sounding childish so she nodded, pulling closed the door behind her as she went. It was a good thing she was cleaning the dining room that afternoon.

*******

Garrett didn't know why he felt guilty but he did. He hadn't expected her to be on her hands and knees cleaning when he had entered and it had thrown him. It had also thrown him that she had taken to Roxi and Roxi had taken to her. Roxi had been an abused pup that he had found on the side of the road and she was shy of most people, but she had greeted Cora like she was a long-lost friend.

Her warm smile and soft laugh had changed her completely and it had made his heart beat a little faster. How long had it been since a woman had made his heart leap like it had? It hadn't happened since Monica had left him ten years earlier.

He didn't know why he had been so nasty about the dining room, he got that fires were a lot of work and didn't doubt her in the least when she said it, but for some reason the woman made him put his guard up and he was always a bit mean when that happened. He was sorry for the comment he had made about the dining room, but he was still unsure of the lay of the land and he had to be careful not to let a pair of pretty brown eyes make his decisions for him.

The last time that happened it had not ended well for him.

She must not know why he was there, otherwise she would not have told him to enjoy the room, especially if it had been her father's favorite.

He threw himself down in the large leather chair that smelled a bit of tobacco smoke and leaned back. It was going to be a long couple of months but tonight he had dinner to get through and he hoped he hadn't just set a precedent and she would expect to eat with him every night.