Chapter 24

Garrett stood watching the sunset while Teddy and Andie sat behind him weighing the potential for the partnership with the university. It was a deal and everyone would gain something if it was a success, but was it viable, would it work?

Personally, Garrett didn't care. His only concern was Cora. They had had a wonderful time in the Bahamas and he had believed that they had reached a turning point in their relationship, but he knew that had all changed when she had seen him with Theodora earlier that afternoon. He had watched the emotions as they had chased across her face. At first, he had been pleased to see her, it had been a nice surprise, but that had quickly changed to concern as he watched her introduce him and Theodora to her friend. She had become reserved and distracted.

He was done with Theodora he had to be. "There won't be any deal," he said quietly as he turned to watch the two women.

Theodora shot him an amused look and continued on, but after a moment of his continued silence she turned to him.

"What do you mean, no deal? We've worked on this for over a year."

"Sorry, I'm done."

"Why?" She looked confused.

"It's too risky." He watched Theodora as she started to get visibly upset.

"How the hell is a tax wright off too risky?" She stood ready to do battle.

At his refusal to answer she turned to look at Andie for an explanation, but she only looked pleased by the situation.

"Good for you Garrett. I've taken it sitting down for too long, I'm glad that you're not going to let her continue to get away with it."

"What kind of nonsense are to saying Andie?" Theodora demanded.

Andie rose from her chair and walked over to Garrett, giving him supportive hug. "It's not nonsense. Garrett is simply kicking you out of his life. The deal isn't risky, you are, and he finally realizes that your stubbornness is going to kill the best thing in his life."

"Kicking me out of your life, you can't do that!"

"Watch me, Theodora." His voice was low and serious.

That was all it took Theodora was off on rant and Garrett simply watched her, no longer amused by her antics as he usually was. She was putting his happiness in jeopardy and he wasn't going to put up with it.

A few minutes into her tirade the door to the apartment opened and Cora entered. Garrett immediately noticed that something was very wrong as he watched her set her bag down on the chair as she usual did. Theodora was still shouting her head off but he had completely tuned her out. Andie followed his gaze and noted Cora's entrance as well, frowning at her paleness.

Garrett stepped towards her and she looked at him, her eyes growing wide before she turned and ran down the hallway, slamming the bedroom door behind her. Andie watched as Garrett strode down the hallway and tried the handle to the bedroom door, banging on it when he discovered it was locked.

Theodora had stopped mid-sentence at his abrupt departure.

*******

Cora wasn't sure how she had made it home, but she had. Arriving home and seeing Teddy and Andie was the last thing her shattered nerves needed. She knew she was in shock because of what had happened with Smith, but she hadn't realized how bad it was until she saw Garrett, her safety net. All of the sudden the seriousness of the situation sunk in and she was barely able to make it to the bathroom in time.

Almost as soon as she closed the door Garrett was pounding on it, but thankfully after a few moments the noise stopped, and so did the retching as she sunk to the floor. Choosing not to think about what had happened and the proposition that Professor Smith had made, she decided to focus on the scene she had walked into. Andie had been standing next to Garrett and they had both been listening to Teddy yell but what she had been yelling about wasn't clear.

The banging started again and Cora yelled for Garrett to go away. She didn't want to see him, or more truthfully, she didn't want him to see her, she was a mess. She heard a murmur of voices and then a gentle knocking.

"Cora it's Andie, may I come in? It's either that or Garrett will break the door down sweetie."

Cora realized she was probably right so she slowly stood and opened the door, admitting Andie. Her eyes met Garrett's as Andie entered and she started to cry before closing the door in his face.

As soon as the door was closed the nausea started and she raced for the bathroom again.

Andie waited patiently for her to finish in the bathroom, then sitting next her on the bed before she spoke. "Is there a chance that you might be pregnant?"

Cora's eyes grew wide, she hadn't even given the idea a thought. "There's always the chance, but it's too early to know. That's not why I'm sick."

"Well that answers that question." Andie adjusted so that she was leaning against the headboard, patting the place next to her, inviting Cora to join her.

"What question?" Cora asked as she slowly crawled up the bed.

"Just how far you and Garrett have taken the marriage."

Cora blushed and looked at her hands where they rested in her lap.

"Don't be offended, please." Andie waited, and when Cora remained silent she sighed. "It really is all Teddy's fault."

"Yes, it is." Cora agreed before she thought better of it and she bit her lip. She was surprised when Andie only laughed.

"Don't worry, I'm not offended." She nudged Cora's arm. "I know the woman better than anyone else, even Garrett, although he's a close second." Andie looked at her feet, hesitant, "I disagree with Teddy about most things and that is what makes our relationship so interesting. I promise you it never gets boring, even after ten years."

"You've worked for her for ten years? You must be a saint."

"No, only in love, like you." She said it so softly that Cora had to pause to consider what she had heard.

"No, you heard right, I'm crazy about the woman, I have been since we met in college."

"I know a side of Teddy that Garrett doesn't, just the way you know a side of Garrett that Teddy doesn't. It's a side that only the ones that truly love them ever get to see. The problem is that Teddy has never had anyone know more about Garrett than she does, and she's scared and upset by it."

"I don't understand why? If she and Garrett aren't in love with each other what does it matter?"

"It shouldn't, but Teddy is not as confident as she appears. In the past Garrett's girlfriends have come to her, bragging about their and Garrett's relationship in an attempt to make her jealous, and Garrett has never been shy about letting Teddy know the lay of the land with each of his past girlfriends. Much the same way I imagine men talk to other men about relationships that don't mean that much to them. But with you it's different. With you, Garrett isn't sharing, and it's making her think she's losing him."

Cora shook her head in disbelief at the thought of Teddy ever losing Garrett.

"And she has." Andie leaned forward. "The reason Teddy was yelling when you walked in was because Garrett told her he was done, that there was no place in his life for her any longer. He cut the strings."

"Why!" Cora wailed. It wasn't what she wanted. She jumped out of bed, she didn't want to be the one to come between them.

The door flew open at her cry and Garrett was suddenly there looking between the two of them.

"Get out!" Cora yelled reaching for the clock, then a book, anything she could get her hands on she threw at him until he retreated, closing the door behind him.

"Do you do that often? Garrett didn't seem very surprised by it." Andie looked amused.

"Why would he do that, cut the stings? I don't want to be responsible for the ending of their friendship."

"Why, I couldn't say, I can only guess. But don't worry, it won't be your fault, it will be Teddy's stubbornness that ends their friendship."