Chapter 17

It had been two days since the Christmas party and Garrett had treated Cora with his usual consideration just like he always had. It was as if it had never happened. She had tried to talk to him the following day, wanting to explain exactly what had happened, but he had been insistent that he didn't have the time and that she was free to do as she chose.

The fact that he thought so little about her bothered her, she had hoped that he had gotten to know her better and come to realize that there was no way that she would ever do such a thing. She looked down at the pad that lay in her lap. She had drawn Garrett in shadow, it was how she saw him. She shivered a little as she remembered the coldness in his eyes when he had found Shane holding her.

It had made her see why he was such a success in business. To her he was always kindness itself but there was an edge to him, and she didn't doubt that he used the edge in his business dealings and that was why he was such a success. Shane had caved and dropped her quick enough at his cold stare that was for sure.

There was a sudden bang from the floor below and it cut off her thoughts. She looked over at the clock. It was past midnight and it was unlikely that Garrett was still up and moving around. She threw off the covers and reached for her bathrobe while sliding her feet into her slippers.

Opening the door, she peered into the hallway, everything seemed quiet so she ventured further out onto the landing. There was a warm glow coming from the bottom of the stairs. Remembering that she had turned out the light before bed she ventured slowly down the stairs, guessing it was Garrett pouring himself a drink. It would be the perfect time to talk to him about what had happened with Shane. He couldn't say he didn't have time in the middle of the night.

The hallway was unusually warm and as she rounded the banister she heard the crackling of the fire. She was sure she had banked the fire for the night. She walked to the living room and walked into a wall of flame. Her eyes grew wide as she watched the flames lick at the Christmas tree and the drapes behind it.

She had to get everyone out!

She ran to the phone in the study and dialed 911 reporting the fire as quickly as she could before hanging-up on the still talking dispatcher who was trying to get more information.  She didn't have time, she had given them the address she couldn't do anymore.

Racing up the stairs she knocked on Garrett's door, he could help get Aunt Mable down the stairs while she got Margie and Leon. She threw open his door but he wasn't there, but she didn't have time to worry about the fact that he wasn't home because it meant she was on her own. She raced across the hall to Aunt Mable's room, threw open the door, and slammed on the lights. "Aunt Mable wake up there's a fire!"

She grabbed Aunt Mable's dressing gown and slippers, doing her best to remain as calm as she could while the groggy lady took her time. All she could think about were the flames licking at the wall beneath her. Where was Garrett? Why wasn't he here? She needed him.

She finally got Aunt Mable up and on her way, her eyes darting around her to make sure there were no other threats. Halfway down the stairs she raced ahead and slammed the door to the living room. The knob burned her hand and she let out a cry as she held it protectively to her chest, knowing that the action probably wouldn't do much good. But she had felt the need to try to do something to keep the smoke, which was black and thick, to a minimum as Aunt Mable moved through the hall.

"We should call the Fire Department," Aunt Mable insisted.

"I already did, they're on their way."

Aunt Mable gave a chuckle just before she started to cough. "Luck always was on my side." Her coughing grew worse and Cora did her best to hurry her along but a little less gently as she pushed her through the kitchen doors.