Chapter 12

Garrett watched Cora's stunned face. Her thoughts were hard to read but he knew the moment the proposal had registered with her. They sat in silence for a few minutes with Cora looking at her hands as the blush that had climbed her cheeks slowly receded.

She wouldn't look at him and it was worrying him. He wanted to see her eyes so that he knew what she was thinking, that way he would know how to proceed. When she finally did look at him she had her thoughts and feelings well under control.

"I was engaged once." She looked at her bare finger as if remembering the ring that must have once adorned it.

It was Garrett's turn to be floored by this admission. It wasn't what he had expected her to say, and he was filled with a sudden jealousy for the man that had once had her heart. Did he still have it?

"As was I," he shared. He had been engaged just out of college, but thankfully the girl had come to her senses and ended the relationship, preferring his roommate over him.

"What happened?" he asked softly, afraid she wouldn't answer and he desperately wanted an answer.

She was staring at him hard and it took a minute for her to hear his question.

"My father died and Aunt Mable inherited all of the money." Her voice was matter of fact but he could sense the hurt that was just underneath. The man had only been after her money, that was enough to kill anyone's self-esteem.

"My fiancé left me for my college roommate. She claimed that I didn't spend enough time with her. The fact that she and Theodora couldn't stand each other played a part in it as well. I think she was jealous." Garrett said it just as matter of fact as Cora had.

"I can understand that. Theodora is wonderful, why don't you marry her? Surely, she would make you a better wife. Especially with your shared history."

"No, that's not an option." He shook his head. He wasn't going to share Theodora's personal life with her, that would be up to Theodora.

"I know this is sudden but look at it as a business move." He continued. "I know it's not the most romantic proposal but you've already had romantic, perhaps this will work out better for all involved. I have already approached Aunt Mable with the offer to purchase the house and she is thinking about it. I believe that she is so money hungry that she will agree to it. I need a home and a wife, for business purposes, and the house and you will do very well-,"

"How do you know that I will do well?" She cut him off and he could hear the slight panic in her voice. "You don't know me, we only met a week ago. I could be crazy or have a nervous tick."

Garrett couldn't help but smile at her outburst. "I told you I'm good at reading people, and I trust you-"

Cora gave a very unladylike snort.

Garrett grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him, "I do trust you Cora. I apologize for the way we started but I can't go back and change that, we can only move forward."

*******

Cora was trapped once again by his shocking blue gaze. His hand on her chin was warm and gentle. She couldn't believe that he had just asked her to marry him, why couldn't he marry Theodora, why wasn't that an option, since they loved each other. The woman who left him must have been a fool. All of these thoughts raced through her mind but she never looked away from him. She couldn't

She licked her lips, a nervous habit that came along with the blush, and noticed that he followed the movement. The air between the was tense. "What do I get out of it?" she asked in a husky voice.

"You get the house, refurbished."

"Refurbished?" she squeaked, He was going to change her house.

He let go of her chin and sat in the chair across from her once again. "Not the look of the house only the mod-cons. It needs a new roof, electrical, plumbing and a few extra bathrooms."

"Why would you do that only to give it away to me?"

"As I said it would be an investment, I plan to use it for entertaining clients."

"How long...how long would we have to be married?" She couldn't believe she was considering it.

Garret shrugged, "Indefinitely, until one of us wanted out of the marriage. I think, if given the chance, we could get along well, and marriages have been built on less."

Sure, a hundred years ago she thought as she looked at Garrett who was watching her closely. She felt as if he could read her every thought.

"What about...you know...a more personal side to the relationship?" She had to ask the question.

"Sex?" To his credit he didn't even crack a smile and he seemed to consider the question seriously.

Cora nodded, blushing again.

"I would expect there to be faithfulness in the relationship. The circles that I travel in are very small and if I'm going to present myself as a family man I would do my best to uphold that, and I would expect you to as well. That being said there's nothing that says that sex has to be part of the agreement."

"So, you're going to remain celibate for the duration of our marriage?" she asked in disbelief.

"That's entirely up to you." His look became intense as he let it travel over her person slowly and Cora felt it all the way to her toes. She knew she was attracted to him, was this his way of letting her know that he was attracted to her?

Cora desperately needed to change the subject, "What assurances do I have that you'll honor the agreement? That I'll get the house."

To his credit, he hid his smile at her obvious change of subject. "We'll draw up a contract that defines the terms."

"Aunt Mable will never agree to sell you the house if you marry me, and she won't give you a penny of her money."

"I don't need her money." Garrett's voice was clipped and Cora sensed it was a sore subject with him. "We won't tell her of the marriage unless it becomes necessary or the timing is right. She's a smart woman and I'm sure, that as part of the sale, she'll insist on living in the house until her death."

"Can she do that?"

"She can do whatever she likes. Contracts are my job Cora, trust me on this. I will make sure that it is a win-win for everyone involved, and there will be no loopholes for any of us." He paused his look thoughtful, "I would also like to add that you will be my wife and as such you will no longer have to worry about money."

"You're buying me!" Cora stood up, suddenly angry.

"No, I'll be taking care of you as your husband. You can even go back to school and start a career if you like."

It sounded too good to be true. "I need time to think about it."

"Certainly." He rose from his chair and walked over to her, putting his hand under her chin once again. "Think about this too," he said, just before his lips claimed hers in a kiss that stole her breath and left her weak-kneed. "You're lovely Cora, and I would be proud and honored if you would be my wife."

Trembling Cora nodded as she fought the urge to touch her lips holding the kiss close. As far as proposals went, it may have started out sketchy, but it hadn't ended badly at all.