Chapter 22

Garrett and Cora were the last to arrive to the buffet style lunch that was being served on a terrace overlooking the vivid blue of the ocean. She and Garrett smiled in response to a few greetings offered their way as they made their way over to the buffet table.  Picking up plates, they worked their way down the line, putting food on their plates without saying a word to each other.

They took an empty table near the side of the terrace away from everyone else. Garrett sat next to her instead of across from her and it meant that he was entirely too close for comfort.

"I'm curious Cora, why do you think that I'm not interested in making love to you?" he leaned in and whispered it in her ear, his warm breath giving her goosebumps.

He wasn't going to let their earlier conversation go easily, the phone ringing had only been temporary reprieve. She was shocked, however, that he was choosing to bring the conversation up in such a public place.

She couldn't suppress the blush that stole up her neck and cheeks. "It doesn't matter," she hissed back.

"Yes, it does matter Cora."

"Fine," she set her fork down and turned towards him, moving in close so that she couldn't be overheard. He tilted his body towards her, blocking her from the other people eating on the veranda. "When we first got engaged you kissed me and touched me, even when we were alone-,"

"But I still-,"

"I know you still do it, but not when we're alone. I understand that it never meant very much to you but it was something. I figured the reason you had stopped after we were married was because you had gotten your way, so you figured there was no need to romance me any longer. That coupled with the time you spend with Teddy-,"

"Forget Teddy!" he said harshly in her ear.

"That's impossible to do when she's always there, in the background. I still don't understand why-,"

He cut her off with a kiss and the harshness and passion behind it startled her, but only for a moment. When she responded with a whimper and her arms snuck around his neck his kiss changed from harsh to gentle.

He broke the kiss. "I don't want Theodora, I never have, but I do want you." He started kissing her again to prove his point, and she was glad that she was sitting down. She had forgotten about all of the other people surrounding them until a voice broke the spell.

"I would say get a room but you already have one."

Cora moved to break the kiss but Garrett held her firmly in place taking his time ending the passionate embrace.

"Do you mind if Rain and I join you?" Shane asked, not waiting for an answer as he sat his plate of food down while giving Cora a look of such malice that it made her shiver. "I'll go get her."

Garrett hadn't missed the shiver and was looking at her questioningly.

"Please don't leave me alone with him," she begged, scooting her chair closer to Garrett's.

"Cora?" he looked concerned and she had to explain in a rush as she watched Shane reach Rain.

"The kiss you saw the night of the Christmas party...I wasn't...it wasn't...please just don't leave me alone with him." Cora's voice broke and she had to hide her face in Garrett's shoulder as she took a few deep breaths while she tried to regain control and fight the tears.

When she felt Garrett tense under her she automatically believed the worst. "I know you don't believe me but I promise I-,"

"I believe you Cora," he said as he placed a kiss on her forehead. "I'm just wondering if I should kill him now or take my time about it." His voice was calm even though is body and words were not.

Cora looked up a Garrett confused by the mixed signals he was giving and shivered as she saw him calmly stand out of politeness when Rain joined them.

As he settled back into his chair next to Cora he leaned over and gave her a kiss on her cheek, "I won't leave you, I promise," he whispered before he dropped another kiss on the top of her head.

Cora was no longer hungry as she watched Garrett pretend like nothing was wrong. He was like a big cat playing with his prey, waiting for the perfect time to pounce. She would hate to get on the wrong side of him, not that she would ever know she was on the wrong side until it was too late.

She hooked her arm through his and rested her head on his shoulder listening halfheartedly to their mundane conversation as it washed over her, letting her mind wander. Garrett had said he didn't want Teddy, but that he did want her. Was this really true, and why had he suddenly believed her when she had told him the truth about Shane, especially when she had done her best to make it appear as if the situation was what he believed it to be.

She tuned back into the conversation in time to hear them talking about the beach and what everyone was going to do with the rest of their day. It was agreed that some time spent on the beach after lunch would be a great way to start off the retreat.

A few minutes later Cora followed Garrett's lead and stood, letting him lead her away from the table.

The walk back to their room was a silent one.

"Are you alright?" Garrett asked as they entered the room. She watched as he threw down the key card and sat heavily on the bed.

"I'm confused." Cora admitted as she stood staring at him.

He smiled. "Join the club Cora. I have been nothing but confused since we met." He started to remove his shoes.

"What does that mean?" She watched as his socks followed his shoes.

"Just that you're an enigma, I never know what you're really thinking or feeling. I can see your surface emotions but I have no clue what you really think of me or any of it."

"You said you didn't want Teddy?" She didn't want to share what she really thought so she changed the subject.

He must have known it was what she was trying to do because he shook his head as he stood. Cora watched frozen as he started to undress. He started with his watch then moved to the buttons of his shirt, all the while talking.

"Theodora and I have never had an intimate relationship of any kind. I have never wanted one with her nor her with me. She is like my sister. There is a lot going on in her life and she needs a friend."

Cora's heart rose a notch as she watched his shirt leave his shoulders. He had a wonderfully powerful body and she was fascinated as his back muscles rippled when he pulled his arms free from his shirt sleeves.

"What about Andie, she's her friend?" All thoughts she had about Teddy and Andie fled her mind as he turned to face her. It was the first time she was seeing him shirtless and she wasn't disappointed.

"I'm not going to say anything more Cora. It's not my place." He walked over to his suitcase and started to rummage around, looking for something. "Are you going swimming?" At her continued silence he turned to look at her.

There eyes locked.

"Are you going swimming Cora?" he asked again, but this time there was a different tone in his voice and his blue eyes were darker than she had ever seen them.

She cleared her throat and licked her lips, her eyes falling to his lips that were smiling softly. "Y-y-yes, I think so." She nodded.

"Then turn around and I'll help you?"

Cora nodded again, slowly turning and pulling her hair over one shoulder so he could unzip her.

"Cora," his hands were moving slowly, his fingers grazing her back as he slowly pulled down the zipper to her dress, "you never told me if you were averse to our making love." He planted a small kiss on her neck.

Cora closed her eyes, her whole body had just caught fire. "I'm not," she whispered. It was so soft that she wasn't sure if her had heard her or not.

But he must have because he spun her around and pulled her into his arms as his lips descended on hers, and she forgot everything and everyone except the two of them.

"The beach?" Cora protested weakly.

"Later," he said between kisses.

"Later," she agreed softly as she wound her arms around his neck.