Chapter 13: Revelations

"Major Sholto?" Sherlock shouted as he knocked on the man's hotel room door.

"Major Sholto!" He tried again, as he jiggled the doorknob but it was locked firmly.

"Major Sholto!" Sherlock shouted as John and Mary joined him.

Sholto called calmly from inside his room: "If someone's about to make an attempt on my life, it won't be the first time. I'm ready."

Sherlock rolled his eyes as he stepped away from the door, flexing his hand absently as it stung. John moved over to the door, calling: "Major, let us in."

"Kick the door down." Mary suggested but Sholto warned: "I really wouldn't. I have a gun in my hand and a lifetime of unfortunate reflexes."

Sherlock walked back to the door as he said sharply: "You're not safe in there. Whoever's after you, we know that a locked room doesn't stop him."

"'The invisible man with the invisible knife'." Sholto quoted and Sherlock admitted: "I don't know how he does it, so I can't stop him, and that means he'll do it again."

"Solve it, then." Sholto ordered and Sherlock paused, confused.

"I– I'm sorry?" He asked incredulously and Sholto called, somewhat sarcastically: "You're the famous Mr Holmes. Solve the case. On you go. Tell me how he did it and I'll open the door."

Sherlock began to pace, thinking desperately while John called through the door desperately: "Please, this is no time for games. Just let us in! You're in danger!"

"So are you, so long as you're here." Sholto pointed out and Mary watched anxiously as Sherlock paced.

Sholto continued sincerely: "Please, leave me. Despite my reputation, I really don't approve of collateral damage."

"Solve it." Mary suddenly said to Sherlock who paused in his pacing to look at her questioningly.

"Sorry?" He asked and Mary elaborated: "Solve it, and he'll open the door, like he said."

Sherlock looked at her in disbelief as he demanded: "If I couldn't solve it before, how can I solve it now?"

"Because it matters now. That's how Marie figured it out so quickly too, isn't it?" Mary said emphatically and Sherlock scoffed: "What are you talking about?"

He turned to John as he snapped: "What's she talking about? Get your wife under control."

"She's right." John said tightly and Sherlock barked: "Oh, you've changed!"

John said firmly: "No, she is. Shut up." He snapped angrily. "You are not a puzzle-solver, you never have been. You're a drama queen. Now, there is a man in there about to die. 'The game is on.' Solve it!"

Sherlock looked torn between fury and desperation, but suddenly his eyes unfocused as the final piece of the puzzle clicked into place. He pictured Bainbridge's uniform, and then Sholto's uniform- the common factor being the tight belt that cinched in their waists.

Sherlock gasped and he kissed Mary's forehead gratefully.

"Though, in fairness, he's a drama queen too." Sherlock added as he pointed at John and Mary replied: "Yeah, I know."

John looked confused but Sherlock was back to focusing on the case as he turned to the door and called: "Major Sholto, no-one's coming to kill you. I'm afraid you've already been killed several hours ago."

There was a pause and then Sholto asked in disbelief: "What did you say?"

"Don't take off your belt." Sherlock ordered mysteriously, and Sholto repeated: "My belt?"