Chapter 21: His Last Vow

Magnussen was waiting outside, where it was now becoming dark. As John joined him, Magnussen commented lightly: "They're taking their time, aren't they? Might be Victoire's efforts to slow them down; she'll have known exactly how this venture would turn out. She understands the psychopath mind too much."

"I still don't understand." John said flatly, and Magnussen commented dryly: "And there's the back of the T-shirt."

"You just know things. How does that work?" John asked in disbelief as he stared at Magnussen in horror.

Sherlock had just joined them outside, finished with his thinking, and Magnussen said derisively: "I just love your little soldier face."

John looked at him in a mix of incredulity and indignation, particularly when Magnussen added: "I'd like to punch it. Bring it over here a minute."

John looked at Sherlock skeptically, and Sherlock gave a tiny nod as Magnussen mocked: "Come on. For Mary. Bring me your face."

John stared at Magnussen in disbelief, before clearing his throat uncomfortably and walking over.

"Lean forward a bit and stick your face out." Magnussen ordered in his soft voice.

John cleared his throat, staring at Magnussen defiantly, but Magnussen asked with a raised brow: "Please?"

John's eyes had narrowed but he did as Magnussen said, staring right into the man's eyes. Magnussen also leaned forward slightly and he asked: "Now, can I flick it?"

John shook his head, more out of incredulity than anything else, and Sherlock's fist curled as he watched.

"Can I flick your face?" Magnussen repeated. John just stood, silently giving permission, and Magnussen slowly lifted his hand. He flicked John's cheek, making John twitch, but other than that John stood defiantly as Magnussen continued.

"I just love doing this." Magnussen murmured with a chuckle. "I could do it all day."

He chuckled as he looked over at Sherlock, who was standing by the door impassively. John's eyes had narrowed in anger, and Magnussen turned back to the shorter man.

"It works like this, John." Magnussen explained. "I know who Mary hurt and killed."

He flicked John's face again.

"I know where to find people who hate her."

Magnussen flicked John again, twice.

"I know where they live; I know their phone numbers."

He flicked John again, and then again, before he taunted: "All in my Mind Palace – all of it. I could phone them right now, and tear your whole life down."

John's eyes were filled with anger and hate as he stared at Magnussen, but the man wasn't done.

"I could do that to Mary, your unborn child... and Marie."

Sherlock's jaw clenched as John's eyes became flinty. Magnussen smiled and he went on: "And I will ... unless you let me flick your face."

He flicked John's face again, and again. John stood his ground, although he was starting to flinch more as the pain started to become unbearable. Sherlock's eyes had gone cold as he watched, while Magnussen mocked: "This is what I do to people. This is what I do to whole countries ... just because I know."

He finally leant back, spreading his arms at the world, but then he suddenly leant back down as he asked with a mocking smile: "Can I do your eye now?"