The Artist

I called Hazel right away.  I was engaged..? This was so new, but at the same time, I wouldn't have it any other way. 
"Hazel?"
"Nico," her groggy voice sounded.  "It's, like, 4 in the morning, what the heck do you want?" 
"Oh, sorry Hazel. I was just calling to check up and tell you something, but if you're too tired it can wait for the next time I see you."
"Uh uh, Nico Di Angelo.  You woke me up this early, I am not going back to sleep until you tell me. And it better be good."
"The new ring on my finger says it will be." I smirked. 
"Oka- WHAT?! Oh my god, Nico!! You're engaged!! That's amazing!! Is it Will?"
"Yes!! I'm so excited, but also, terrified, you know?"  I spoke in an excited whisper. 
"Aw, Nico! I'm so happy for you, that's incredible! But I swear if he does anything to hurt you.."
"Don't worry, Hazel.  Will is the most wonderful person.  He's sweet, and funny, and caring, and always puts people before him.  I would put my life in his hands, and have, multiple times."  Hazel cooed.
"That's so sweet. As long as you're happy.."
"I am. But you should go back to bed, you must have things to do tomorrow."
"Okay.  Love you, and congratulations!!!" She squealed. 
"Bye."
I sighed and flopped onto the couch.  Will had gone upstairs, or so I had thought.  The stairs creaked as the blonde boy walked down to meet his fiancé.  Me! That's so strange.  He sat down next to me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. 
"I love you."
"You have an accent when you're tired." I observed quietly. "It's cute."  Will laughed and lay his head on my shoulder. 

The end of winter break brought with it the return of school.  And I was not looking forward to it.
"C'mon, Neeks! We're going to be late!"
"Coming!" I stumbled out the door and we raced to school.  Will won by a second.
"Hey!" A girl ran up to us.  "Will!"  He turned.  She had dark brown eyes, like mine, but her hair was a dirty blonde.  It was wavy and hung around her shoulders. 
"Hey, Claire.  How's it going?" He asked, his tone bored. 
"Good! I haven't seen you in a while." She batted her eyelashes flirtatiously. 
"No doubt, we haven't had school."
"Right, so I was thinking, maybe you wanna hang out later today? Get coffee, or something?"
"No thanks, Claire.  I'm booked." She huffed quietly, then shrugged and walked away.
"Who was that?"  I asked, not worried in the slightest.
"She was my partner for criminal justice class.  I never liked her." He shuddered.
"But she likes you!" I teased.  He shoved me.
"Suck it up, you're stuck with me for the rest of your life."
"I'm fine with that."
Come Valentine's Day, the whole school bustled around.  Roses were held in every girls hands, and chocolates under their arms.  Pink and red lined my vision at all times.  Boys were on their knees, stuttering while their girls cooed in response.  I hated this holiday, but I had a feeling this year would be good.  I felt a familiar presence behind me as I took the scene in. 
"Be my valentine, loser?"
"Is that even a question?" I whipped around and kissed Will right smack on the lips. 
"I know how much you hate this holiday, so I took the liberty of clearing your classes for today." He said through his smile. 
"Okay," I responded as he took my hand and pulled me behind the school to the benches near a field.  He had put cushions on it and set up a table with chocolates and movies.  His computer sat next to it. 
"I figured a day off might be nice."
"This is why I love you."
"I know."  He beamed.  I twisted the ring on my finger happily as we sat down next to each other and kicked our feet up.  Will put the screen on his lap and we were just starting to choose a movie when someone shouted behind us. I knew that voice.  Claire. 
"Will! Aw that is so sweet! I take it what's his name here didn't have a date, and you're cheering him up? How nice! But seriously, I had people clawing at the ground I walked on to get here asking me out, and I turned them all down.  So let's go, I planned the whole day."
"Claire.  I'm not interested." Will slowed down his words.  Her face morphed into one of anger and confusion as she marched over.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean I'm not interested in you."
"You have to be! Tell me you don't feel something between us!"  Will shook his head.
"Nothing."  She came closer to him and he inched away.
"What about now?" 
"Nope."  Then she kissed him, pressing her lips against my fiancé's.  I watched in horror. 
"Get off him, you creep!" I shoved her backwards. 
"Ew! Don't tell me what to do! You're just jealous because I stole your friends heart!" 
"Actually,"
Will wiped his lips with his sleeve, shuddering. 
"You didn't.  Because my heart isn't with me.  It's with him."  He pointed to me.  "Now get lost."
"You're gay? Oh, ugh! That's gross! Freaks!" She screeched.  I ignored her, and Will turned away.  We'd had enough of this.  "You guys- oh I can't believe I kissed you!!"  She continued.  I frowned. 
"There something wrong with us being gay?" I asked, defensive.
"Um, yeah.  It's unnatural and wrong.  You're not supposed to like people of the same gender."  I growled.  "And besides," she was still talking, looking me up and down in disgust. "I don't get why anyone would like you.  Will's hot.  He deserves someone much better.  Like me!"  She shot Will a pointed look.  He grimaced. 
"Just get away, Claire.  Get out of here.  And get it into your head that I will never like you because I love Nico!" He shouted.  She looked taken aback.
"Fine." She said quietly before strutting away. 
"Sorry, Nico." Will cast his eyes down.
"That's okay."