Chapter 9 - Treehouse chats

Landry's P.O.V.

Kevin read the letter and I sat quiet next to him. I'm usually not the person who shows emotions when I'm around someone else except Lauren or my family but now I couldn't stop the tears from coming. I saw how Kevin looked up from the letter and I tried to stop myself from crying but I couldn't.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"No... I can't believe that I missed her. Like if I'd have stayed just a couple of more minutes at home I'd have been able to save her and then she'd still be here with me. It's all my fault that she got taken" I said while crying my eyes out.

"Hey, it's not your fault Landry. You couldn't know that she were being chased. Maybe she would still be here if you had stayed at home longer but we can't do anything about that right now. The only thing we can do is continue to search for her and now we got ourself a first clue" he said.

"I guess you're right but it still hurts..." I said and sobbed.

I looked over at him and he randomly pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back and we sat like that for a few minutes. It was a nice hug and when we pulled away I smiled a little.

"Thanks, I guess I needed that" I said and chuckled.

"You're welcome" He said and smiled.

"I never shows my emotions like crying infront of people who's not my family or Lauren but it felt okay doing it infront of you..." I said and leaned my head against his shoulder.

"Oh... Well everyone needs to let their feelings out sometime. It's nothing wrong with that" He said and looked down at me.

"You know, you're actually the first boy to ever be up in this treehouse. In 6th grade we made this rule that we'd never bring any boys up here and that it's a boyfree zone" I said.

"Really? Maybe I should go down again then" He said.

"You don't have too. I mean, it's not like I brought you up here to make out or anyhing. That's basically why we had that rule anyways so" I said and chuckled.

"Yeah right" He said and chuckled too.

There was a little silence for a few minutes and we just sat up there together with me having my head against his shoulder.

"So how are we going to find out what that symbol stands for?" I said and pointed at the drawing that Lauren had made in the letter.

"Well it might be a gang symbol which could help us a lot. I actually have a friend from boarding school who knows loads about different gangs and their symbols. I could send it to him and maybe he can tell us which gang it is" Kevin said.

"I see, and yeah that sounds great" I said.

We then sat up there for a while and just talked. I told him stories about this tree house from when we built it until she disappeared and he told me about his boarding school. It was really nice and it felt so natural to tell him everything. It was like he understood and listened to me in a way noone else than Lauren has done before.