Chapter Five: The Schuyler Siblings

Back to Burr's POV

Taking a deep breath of the crisp, clear air, I sigh. This is the best time of the year, I reflect, when the mosquitoes are out and the nights are light. 

As I stroll down the street, something catches my eye. A cheery yellow with a splash of gold, maybe on the buttons? I tilt my head, and lean over in attempt to get a better glimpse at what I saw out of my peripheral vision. Then it clicks. Not because I saw anything, but rather I heard the distinct rumbling and squeaking of a carriage, and the neighs of a thoroughbred. Ah, there it is; right on time.

The first thing you need to learn about New York is this: there's nothing rich folk love more than going downtown and slumming it with the poor. They pull up their carriages and gawk at the students in the common just to watch them talk!

Maybe it makes them feel more grateful for their wealth? Or maybe open their eyes to the world around them? I really have no clue. It's always seemed a bit strange to me, but it is what it is.

The phantom yellow returns for only a second, but this time it comes with dark almond hair and sweet, high laughter, reminding me of someone else well-off.

Take Philip Schuyler, the man is loaded, but little does he know his children, Peter, Angelica, Elijah, sneak into the city just to watch all of us at work.

Three lavishly-clad figures emerge onto my side street like they've been summoned. As per usual, Angelica looms over the little parade, looking absolutely ravishing in a long, pink dress that fits her darker complexion and black hair perfectly.

"Angelica!" She announces, like I had any doubt.

"Elijah!" says her brother from behind her, Elijah, decked out in a fashionable light blue suit with flecks of silver, and brown hair that falls over his eyes, shaggy. He looks a little unsure, but trusting in his sister.

The last one is wearing the yellow and gold I spotted from earlier. He announces who he is with an aggressive, "And Peter!" as if he's used to being loud to get noticed.

"The Schuylers," I note, stating the obvious.

While the two older siblings look fascinated as they examine the surroundings, Peter is not impressed. "Daddy said to be home by sundown!" he exclaims, but I can tell that's not the real reason he wants to leave. The atmosphere makes him uneasy, jumpy.

Angelica laughs, brushing off the youngest's nervousness. "Daddy doesn't need to know," she teases, while simultaneously managing to warn Peter that if he tells, things aren't going to be good for him.

"Daddy said not to go downtown," he persists, and this time Elijah turns to face him, not-so-gently reminding Peter of a previous conversation, his tone brooking no argument.

"Like I said, you're free to go."

Sulking, Peter falls silent, staring at the floor in defiance. Angelica changes the mood with a few awe-filled words to her two brothers.

"But, look around, look around! The Revolution's happening in New York!" She practically yells, the excitement soaking her words as she spreads her arms wide.

Peter's still not having any of it, which I find funny. "It's bad enough Daddy wants to go to war," he mumbles, the very picture of a distraught child. His siblings either don't notice or don't care, as they keep on singing praises.

"People shouting in the square!" cries Elijah, following his sister's lead.

"It's bad enough there'll be violence on our shore!" Peter shoots back, to no avail.

Now it's Angelica who cuts in. "New ideas in the air!

"Look around, look around--"

"Angelica remind me what we're looking for?" Interrupts Elijah impatiently. It seems that just because he agrees with her doesn't mean he has a clue what she's talking about.

Then everyone in the poor section of the city gives me a heart attack as all the men turn around as one and yell collectively, "She's looking for me!" while striking comical "seductive" poses.

Unimpressed, Angelica turns away, all flouncing pink skirts. "Elijah," she says, glaring at the ruffians around her, "I'm looking for a mind at work!" Her implied message is clear, Not a bunch of brainless, disgusting oafs.

Wooh! I'm impressed now. I was before, but even more so. There's nothing like summer in the city, I repeat, an idea forming in my head and a charming smile on my face. Someone in a rush next to someone looking pretty.

Approaching her, I incline my head to her respectfully. When she gives me the What now? look, I launch into my award-winning speech.

"Excuse me, miss, I know it's not funny," I say, with as much dignity aimed to myself as well as her, "but your perfume smells like your daddy's got money. Why're you slumming it in the city in those fancy heels? You searching for an urchin who can give you ideals?"

Rolling her eyes, she scoffs, "Burr, you disgust me."

I crack another grin. "oh, so you've discussed me? I'm a trust fund, baby, you can trust me!"

Angelica now does something do unexpected, I nearly fall over. She turns a shameless bit of flirting into a protest about women's rights! It should completely turn me off, but it only makes me more interested in her, albeit a bit shallowly.

"I've been reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine," she starts, and I'm confused. "So men say that I'm intense or insane? You want a Revolution, I want a revelation! So listen to my declaration!"

On cue, her brothers join in, quoting the pamphlet directly. "'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal!'"

Like a charging bull, Angelica continues by herself. "But when I meet Thomas Jefferson," she declares, "I'ma compel him to include women in the sequel!"

So, after that hit me, Elijah starts in with his own strain. "Look around, look around, at how lucky we are to be alive right now!"

"Look around," Peter had joined his big brother, "look around, at how lucky we are to be alive right now!"

"History is happening in Manhattan and we just happen to be," sing all the Schuylers together, "In the greatest city in the world! In the greatest city in the world!"

They each turn a separate way to tell their bit to someone else, spreading their anticipatory mood across the city. I stand there, stunned. It's a good stunned, but still. I was not in any way prepared for it.

I hear the whole block sing out the last words, and I swear the ground shook and the buildings swayed ever so slightly.

"IN THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!"

Times sure are changing.