Chapter Twenty-One: What Comes Next?

King George III's POV

Pacing across my throne room, there's no sense of calm, no peace. How could my colonies do this to me? I did everything right! They had me! What more could they want?

They say, I write, thinking about how my people won't let me get the Colonies back, the price of my war's not a price that they're willing to pay.

Insane! You cheat with the French, that one hurt, now I'm fighting with France and with Spain. Both of them. At the same time. Because of the Colonies. 

I'm so blue! I thought that we'd made and arrangement when you went away. You were mine to subdue! Well, even despite our estrangement, I've got a small query for you:

Ha. It's adorable, all those little people thinking they can survive without me.

What comes next? You've been freed. Do you know how hard it is to lead? You're on your own. Awesome, wow! I'm so happy for you! Not. Do you have a clue what happens now? No. No you do not. Because you're just like little children, dressing up in Daddy's clothes and pretending to take charge of the household. It won't last long. Soon he'll come home, and playtime'll be over.

Oceans rise, empires fall! It's much harder when it's all your call. I know I make it look easy, but trust me, it's not. There are taxes to collect, military expeditions to fund, colonies to deal with-- it's exhausting!

 All alone, across the sea. When your people say they hate you, and they will, no doubt about it, don't come crawling back to me! I've had enough, and I refuse to clean up your messes.

You're on your own...

I wipe a single tear from the corner of my eye. I know it's for the best, but still. I guess you never know what you have until it's gone.