Chapter Twelve: The Story of Tonight (Reprise)

Laurens' POV

The four of us make our way into the bar, the bar where we first met her. We laugh, joke, and shove each other playfully as we order our drinks, cherishing these moments we have together.

"I may not live to see our glory," I say, remembering back to that night. Although the line's a solemn one, all of us are smiling.

Hercules and Lafayette echo the line back. "I may not live to see our glory!"

"But I've seen wonders great and small!" I say, grinning widely as I gesture to the "small" wonder in front of me. Alexandra punches me in the arm, causing my smile to widen.

"'Cause if this tomcat," I say, ruffling her hair as she glares at me, faking anger, "can get married!"

"If Alexandra can get married!"

"There's hope for our ass after all!" I crow, bringing it all home. I think Lafayette mumbles something like, "Speak for yourself," but I can't tell. Either way, hammered Lafayette is hilarious. Something about how his accent gets stronger and he loses all restraint just cracks me up.

Proving that the subject of war is never far from his mind, Lafayette says this next part louder, to all of us. "Raise a glass to freedom!"

Hercules and I share a quick look before cracking up. "Something you will never see again!" we manage, and Alexandra shoots a look that says, I hate you all. All it does is make us laugh more, and she finally gives in, laughing so hard she holds her sides.

"No matter what he tells you!" The two of us finish, dancing around the counter like the pair of idiots that we are. A mental image of Alexandra fighting with Elijah pops in my mind. I imagine it goes like this: She wants to do something dangerous to prove she's amazing, and he's all like, "Great, except that's a horrible idea. Just calm down."

"Let's have another round tonight," Lafayette suggests, calling the barmaid over. Wiser words have never been spoken, because even though I'm happier than I've been in weeks, my heart's heavy. 

I get my drink, and hold it up in a toast, just like I did last time. "Raise a glass to the four of us!" and my friends holler in agreement, mirroring my movements.

"To the newly not poor of us!" yells Hercules, and Alexandra blushes. The reality of her financial situation must not have sunk in.

"Woo!" the rest of us catcall, feeling the alcohol loosen our tongues. This is what freedom feels like, I decide, when you can just say what you think, without judgement from those around you, because everyone's just as smashed.

Lafayette drains a second glass with a promise. "We'll tell the story of tonight."

"Let's have another round--" I start, but am cut off by Alexandra as she notices someone coming in.

She walks toward him, exclaiming happily, "Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr, sir!"

My jaw drops as she continues, "I didn't think that you would make it!" She invited Burr to her "bachelor" party? And she didn't tell us! I don't have any clever remarks prepared!

"To be sure?" He asks, a soft smile on his face.

The rest of us pretend to vomit into our drinks, and Lafayette and Hercules growl out a warning, "Burr!"

He glares at us, and I stick out my tongue and make rude gestures. "I came to say congratulations," he says in explanation.

"Split a verse, Burr!" calls Hercules, a bit of a challenge in his voice, but mostly curiosity. What would Aaron Burr have to say about Alexandra's wedding? What would his version of congratulations entail. Ours come with teasing and over-exaggeration. But what would he say?

He declines, opting instead to state the obvious. "I see the whole gang is here," he observes.

Lafayette's the most disappointed of all of us, and he states his feelings overly loudly. "You are the worst, Burr," he says, decisive. Like he's declaring, No one has ever been, or ever will be, as uncool as Aaron Burr.

I laugh, along with Hercules, and we pat the Frenchman on the back, but we freeze when Alexandra frowns and dismisses us.

"Ignore them. Congrats to you, Lieutenant Colonel. I wish I had your command instead of manning George's journal," she says, the envy turning the room green. 

Burr tilts his head, confused. "No you don't," he says, like it's obvious. Anyone with Alexandra's job would be the happiest person in the Revolution. It's relatively safe, easy, Washington becomes your best friend, and you get the inside scoop on everything that's happening in camp. I must admit I'm a bit concerned as to why she's never satisfied with what she's got.

"Yes I do," she insists.

"Now be sensible," Burr says, and for one of the first times I agree with him. "From what I hear you've made yourself indispensable." Now that's true. I don't know what Washington would do without her.

I decide it's high time I got involved in this conversation. While the two of them were talking, I formulated an opening line. "Well, I heard you've got a special someone on the side, Burr," I tease, walking behind him and Alexandra, putting my arms around them. I make eye contact with Burr, and he shifts away, breaking away from my gaze.

Alexandra's interested now. "Is that so?" she asks, her curiosity evident.

"What're you trying to hide, Burr?" I pry, grabbing his arm, effectively stopping him from leaving. The atmosphere instantly darkens and I hold his eyes in a steady gaze. I don't know why I'm angry, but if grilling Burr lets out my bottled up emotions, I'll keep on going. 

He pulls against my grip, to no avail. "I should go," he says weakly, voice shaky.

Alexandra tears me away from him, disgusted with my behaviour. "No, these guys should go. Leave us alone," she says, and there's no arguing with her. We protest weakly, but leave without putting up a fight.

Burr's POV

Laurens has effectively shaken me up. When I looked into his eyes, there was an intensity in them that I've never seen before. I look down at my hands as Alexandra ushers the three men out, and see that they're trembling.

"It's alright, Burr," she says, putting her hands over mine, stopping them from quivering. Once upon a time the movement would have left my throat dry, but not anymore. Instead I lower my head. "I wish you'd brought this girl with you tonight, Burr," she says. "I'd have liked to meet her."

I smile sadly, cheered by her interest, but saddened by the truth. "You're very kind, but I'm afraid it's unlawful," I say, finally lifting my eyes to her face.

Her eyes are soft, not comprehending. She asks, "What do you mean?"

"She's married," I explain, breaking eye contact again. I study the hardwood floor, memorizing the cracks and scratches etched into it.

Alexandra's silent for a moment. Finally she says quietly, "I see."

But that's not all. I finish the sentence even quieter, "She's married to a British officer."

"Oh shit," she says, her head snapping up with surprise, and I agree whole-heartedly.

Looking up at her stunned expression, I smile again. "Congrats again, Alexandra," I say kindly. "Smile more," I tease her, and she nods. "I'll see you on the other side of the war."

"Burr, I will never understand you," she starts, real concern in her eyes. "If you love this woman, go get her! What are you waiting for?" 

The question hangs in the air, but I don't know how to answer. I sigh, and avoid the question entirely, moving to the door. "I'll see you on the other side of the war," I repeat, and walk out of the building into the cool night air.

"I'll see you on the other side of the war," I hear Alexandra say quietly, and I smile once more.