Chapter 2: Pain?

• Marie's POV •

Wednesday August 31th, 1964

I wake up feeling groggy than ever. I sit up from Elvis' arms and stretch my arms up. Elvis groans and turns to the side. I roll my eyes. A fire alarm wouldn't wake him up. I pat his chest deciding if I should get up. I glance at the alarm clock beside the bed and sigh. It's noon. I gently smack his bare chest, he lifts his head up and glances at me fiercely.

"It's noon." I softly say avoiding his angry eyes.

He falls back on the bed and lifts the bed sheets up to his head.

"So what? I ain't workin'." He mutters.

I roll my eyes and get up. I slide out all the bobby pins in my hair as I make it to the bathroom. I slip off Elvis' night shirt and head inside the shower. As the hot water hits me, I start getting cramps. I curse under my breath, I never get these. The pill must have messed me up good. I wince every few minutes as I finish my shower. I tread out the shower, miserable. I'm not prepared for my period at all. I glance at Elvis, his snoring is louder than ever.

As I slip on a pastel pink, sleeveless cocktail dress, I pick up one of my nude flats and throw it at Elvis' butt. The snoring suddenly stops and his head slowly peeks out of the covers. I can't hold in my laughter as Elvis rubs his eyes completely dazed and confused.

"Our honeymoon fucked up our schedule. Now get up!" I demand grabbing my nude flat from the bed. He growls surprising me with his arms grabbing my waist. He pulls me under the covers and I laugh.

"Is that your leg or are you just happy to see me?" I question smiling up at him.

He nods, drowsy. I laugh as I get up and twist my long hair up in a bun. Elvis sits up and wearily makes it into the bathroom. I laugh out as he almost hits the door frame, he glares at me, shakes his head and goes inside the bathroom slamming the door. As I feel a cramp starting, I clench the corner of the dresser and wait for it to pass. In a second I run downstairs to the kitchen. Food cures my period cramps, other than that I'm thankful I don't get anything like every other woman does.

I make it to the kitchen, Mary smiles up at me as she cleans a counter.

"Up so early?" She asks sarcastically raising a brow.

I laugh and nod.

"Our sleeping schedule's all messed up. Honest, Mary." I say trying to convince her.

She shakes her head giggling.

"Alright sugar pie. What ya feel like eating today?" She asks finishing up cleaning the counter.

I look around and rub my stomach. I'm not even hungry.

"Can I have some pasta please?" I ask sweetly.

She laughs, "Ofcourse, sugar pie! Any kind?"

"Sure! I trust you in making it delicious." I say smiling at her.

She walks over to me and pats my shoulder.

"Only for you honey." She winks making me laugh.

She notions me she'd get started as I thank her again and head back up the stairs. I open the double doors to see Elvis examining his gun. I clear my throat and put a hand on my hip. He glances up at me and lights up. It's the same gold baretta he refuses to put away with the others.

"You're lucky that things pretty." I mutter as I sit next to him on the bed.

He smirks and puts ammo in the gun.