Chapter Ten

I follow him and sit at the table next to Josh, as Leo serves dinner, when he sets the plate in front of me I see that we are having butter chicken with rice. When he has served everyone he sets a bowl of pappadums in the middle of the table. As I go to pick up my fork I feel weak, my vision starts to swim, I fall off of my chair and black out as my head hits the ground. I can hear people around me but I can't open my eyes.

"She needs to feed," I hear somebody say.

"How? She is passed out, she can't feed while she is passed out," I hear someone else say through tears.

"You have to use your powers to lend her your strength," I hear the first person say.

I feel someone's hands touch my face and I feel a warmth spread through my body. I feel it seep through my whole body to the tips of my fingers and the soles of my feet. When the warmth leaves me I realise that I can open my eyes. When I open them I see Josh's face above mine blocking out everything else.

"Kayla, are you okay?" He asks with a tears running down his cheeks.

"I'm fine. What happened?" I say as I sit up and see a small cluster of people standing in the kitchen.

"You need to feed. Now," I hear an angry voice say loudly from behind Ian and see Steven step out from behind him.

"Steven, oh no you haven't told mum and dad have you?" I ask worriedly as I look around for my parents.

"No, I didn't want to worry but you need to feed regularly, every fourth day, and you know that," Steven says in a very stern voice. "How long have you been without feeding?"

I look at Steven and see that there is no arguing with him. "It's been nine days today since I should have fed last," I say looking dejected.

"Nine days, that is twice as long as you are supposed to go. You know that we have to feed every fourth day," Steven says seeming very upset.

"I know but I've been busy, Steven, and I know that isn't an excuse but I have been collapsing into bed at night and am on the go the minute I wake up," I say feeling slightly defensive.

"Well you have to feed. Now," he says sounding like a parent.

"I was going to after dinner," I say then I see the look on Steven's face and instantly give up an argument that I might have presented to defend myself. "I'm going now."

I lay in the middle of the bed on my back, in a position that I feel comfortable in. I slowly relax each of my body until I feel completely relaxed and I then slip into a simpler state of being. I feel myself floating from sleeping mind to sleeping mind until I find a dream that I am interested in, once I find the perfect dream, I start taking deep breaths. As I take a couple of deep breaths I feel parts of the person's dream slipping from their mind into mine. After I take a small amount of the dream from the person I pull myself out of the dream, I wander around from mind to mind until I find another dream and repeat the process taking a small amount of the person's dream. Once I have had my fill of dreams I carefully pull myself out of the simpler state of being. After I have finished I feel better than I have in the last week. I hear a knock on the door and look up as someone enters the room.

"Hello," Amara says carry a large basket full of something. "I thought you would like to put some of these around the room."

"What are they?" I ask curious to find out what is in the basket.

"Flowers from my garden. Zach told me that you liked them, so I thought you might like to put some of them in here," she says putting the basket on the bed.